The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flat battery/not charging

foggy147

Grrrr, since taking the car for a 30 mile drive yesterday due to the battery being flat and jump started.The car has been stood over night and just gone to start it and its flat again!!Not checked the fuse for the stereo yet as the the ariel and stereo stopped working since being started.Sems the battery isnt holding its charge. The battery was perfectly fine before I let it lose its charged once the car had always started first time evertime so I dont think its a battery problem. Is their a fuse that controls charge getting to the battery? As when it did start yesterday it idled lower than normal when stood still so seems the charge wasnt great?Any advice or help would be appreciated

If the battery has flame arester vents unscrew all 6 of them .Then get someone to crank the engine a few times while you look at the battery water for bubbling. If you see any bubbling the battery has had it.;)

Do you mean where you fill the top holes of the battery with ionised water or somewhere else?

Guest argy911
Thanks will check that inmorning. Is there any chance it could be a fuse as i read that there would be a fuse that controls the battery circuit so if thats blown that could be why?like i say when i ot tstarted it did idle low

Not sure about that , You'll have to ask the guys with expierence on the forum .

have you tried beeping your horn ? if the battery is knackered the horn will die , it sounds like the battery has had it either way , if you can manage to get the engine started and check the voltage on the battery if i am right should read 13 volts ,i wait to be corrected here :) lol if the alternator is knackered let me know changing it is fairly easy but a bit of a pain if you dont know how to

Can you borrow a trickle charger from anyone? If so, put the battery on trickle charge for maybe 24 hours, and see if it can hold a charge for longer than 2 or 3 days. If it can't, then you're sure to need a new battery. If it can, then maybe the alternator's at fault.

Guest Suprafly

If you can get the car started take it to any garage and they'll test your battery and charge from the alterator in about 5 minutes.

Also have you checked your crank pulley?

Sounds like a dead battery to me ;)

If something is wrong with your charging circuit you would usually see the battery indicator light up in the car, but you can check anyway by reading the voltage of the battery - it should increase from 12 to ~14 volts whilst the the car is started & reved a little.

A battery check is free in most places like halfords etc. so worth a check there maybe?

Batteries can die quicker than you think too. I replaced mine 3 weeks ago as it seemed fine (was starting my car ok the day before) but then it refused to take charge. Was wierd since it had enough charge in the battery to start the car many times the day before, even with stop/start sort of runs so it pointed to the charging circuit/alternator suddenly failing, however the voltmeter test proved otherwise.

Just to point out as well - this battery was less than 18 months old.

Yay just been round with a new 150quid power battery lol, started the car instantly and now the radio comes on so must of been the battery didnt even have enough power to start the radio. All back up ad running again can start enjoying the Supra!!Thanks guys!

Yay just been round with a new 150quid power battery lol, started the car instantly and now the radio comes on so must of been the battery didnt even have enough power to start the radio. All back up ad running again can start enjoying the Supra!!Thanks guys!

Glad that it's working again. How did the old battery perform after getting trickle-charged?

Glad that it's working again. How did the old battery perform after getting trickle-charged?

Im still waiting to find that out will know later. Figured a new battery wouldnt do it any harm either way. It's a big yellow battery it's mainly made to power high spec cars as in big ICE installs so this one could probably power 3 supras lol

Ahh, OK. There's a small chance that your old battery will be fine once it's been trickle-charged for a while, but my money's on a duff battery too.

On the offchance that it's the charging circuit in the car that's at fault, you'll be in the same situation in maybe a month or two with a shiny new battery that doesn't have enough power to start the car.

Ahh, OK. There's a small chance that your old battery will be fine once it's been trickle-charged for a while, but my money's on a duff battery too.

On the offchance that it's the charging circuit in the car that's at fault, you'll be in the same situation in maybe a month or two with a shiny new battery that doesn't have enough power to start the car.

Well fingers crossed the test on the battery come back rubbish then so it explains it. If not is there a way I can check the circuit before it would even get to the point to be sure or is that the alternator that would need sorting?