The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Hatch Rattle / Knocking.

Kitt

Just a little advice for you all - if you have an annoying rattle or knocking at the rear of your beast, then try either replacing the rubber stoppers either side of the boot, or try squirting some silicone sealant on them.

Just a thought from past rear end noises ! ( doesn't work so well on the girlfriend though ! )

Originally posted by Terminator

Dont be such tight buggers, spalsh out for some new rubbers and change the little sods.

Pffft, it's easy for you rich buggers to say that but those boot rubbers are nearly SIX QUID you know!

:rolleyes:

:tongue:

Originally posted by mad_supra_21

I have the same problem, knockin noise commin from the right hand rear,i have 2 sticky pads on the rubbers both sides but still annoying noises are commin out,could my rear shocker need replacing?:devil:

I had a very similar problem a few months ago. I couldn't decide if the problem was the shock or not so I took both the rear shocks off and swapped them over to see if the noise changed sides.

Strangely, the noise stopped straight away and hasn't returned. Might be worth a shot, it's an easy job and only takes about half an hour.

Originally posted by Terminator

Dont be such tight buggers, spalsh out for some new rubbers and change the little sods.

I only used the foam pads as a temporary fix. But 7 months on and they're still going strong :p

I've heard a lot of guys having the rattle return 6 months after fitting new rubbers, so I'm happy to stick with my foam pads :D

Originally posted by Paul -C-

I only used the foam pads as a temporary fix. But 7 months on and they're still going strong :p

I've heard a lot of guys having the rattle return 6 months after fitting new rubbers, so I'm happy to stick with my foam pads :D

i DID change the rubbers but decided on bit of overkill and so covered those up :p

• 2 years later...
Guest scootmuldoon

i recently bought 2 new rubber stoppers for mine and it cured the problem! the part number for the lower rubbers is PT67293-14051 and the part number for the new screws/bolts is PT90159-50116. the rubbers cost £2.88 + vat and the screws are 68p + vat from toyota.

I recently done mine too. You probably only need the two bottom rubbers as the tops are un lightly to be a problem.

Word of caution, trying to get the two self tapping screws that hold each of the bottom rubbers, I managed to detroy two of the four screw heads. They are difficult to get a screw driver on properly as you have to access them at a slight angle.

So be carefull to get the right screwdriver bit to start with and put plenty of force on them to make sure you dont chew the heads off like I did.

The consequence is having to drill the screws out and retap the threads which is very time consuming.

Its amazing how the simplest of jobs can turn into a nightmare.

Carl

Guest scootmuldoon

same happened to one of my screws. nightmare!! if you lift up the rubber boot surround slightly you can get a slighly better angle with your screwdriver.