The mkiv Supra Owners Club

goodbye mr2...hello supra :D

andyc666

[GRIN][/GRIN]

Finally my dream has come true, admiral have finally let me get insured on a supra! Here's the amazing/confusing/

[/sHOCK] thing...I'm only 19.:innocent:

And what's even more amazing and confusing and even unexplainable is that admiral won't insure me on an NA because it's an import yet I managed to get a quote today for a TT uk spec because it's not an import and the difference in price going from a non turbo mr2 to a supra TT is £67 a year!

I know what you're thinking...jeez he's lucky, boy racer, lying on his insurance etc but I've been driving an mr2 for half a year and I'm not a dickhead on the roads, on a serious note I can't put my pedal to the metal because I'm a poor uni student and can't afford to put petrol in my tank daily...plus I'd rather not write my car off or get pulled over for being an idiot.

I think the only reason I can get insured is because I have 2 years no claims and am on my dad's multicar policy but you might think ah ha he's fronting on his dad's insurance but I'm hardly ever home to drive it only during uni holiday periods so so far I can't see anything illegal about this which is all thumbs up.

Only one problem...supra TT uk spec cars don't come cheap so I have a bit of saving to do but will be worth it in the end :)

I did see one go for £4000 [sHOCK]

/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1425519.htm

So there is still hope :)

Hope to see you guys around at some meets when I get my car and I hope you're a nicer lot than the mr2 owners club...man they really slated me for being so young :(

Hello and welcome! That £4000 UK spec supra sounded like a real bargain.

Good luck with the search.

What MR2 did you have? Mk2? I've always had a soft spot for those. :)

Thank you very much guys you already seem nicers than mr2 owners lol yeah that was an unbelievable bargin just waiting now for another one to pop up. Yeah a mk2 mr2 turbo in a very rare colour and a lot of modifications...just don't think it will be enough to pay for the supra. :(

Welcome,

Beware buying a cheap tt either uk or jap spec, these cars are now quite old and cost a pretty penny to keep them on the rd.

That's a down side and petrol consumption aswell :(

But on the bright side I used to work in a garage part time when I was still at school and learnt quite a bit and just recently finished converting my mr2 from an NA to a turbo with an engine from a celica gt4. I'm not trying to be big headed by hopefully my repairs bills would be a bit less touchwood if i get any problems.

Also reading up on these engines arn't they meant to be "bulletproof"?

I would make every effort to ensure that its a Mk4 supra, they often get confused and quote on mk3's.

Haha oh I definately made sure this time because I went to buy a supra NA and I was able to get insured on a supra and the quote i checked was for a 1993 car and they got it confused with the mk3 so I went to buy a 1995 car and they wouldn't insure me so I lost £200 deposit :( that was a bad day.

But this time round I was asking so many questions and the woman on the other end of the phone said it's definately the 1993-1996 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo UK Spec so if anything does mix up I can blame the insurance company because the telephone call is recorded. [COOL][/COOL]

No mate their not bullet proof, the petrol consumption is the least of your worries.

I've just spent over £3k on my uk spec changing wishbones, eccentric adjusters and dampers.

along with a few other parts recently changed

intercooler

radiator

heater matrix

a/c rad

diff cooler

caliper seals

cam cover seals

valve stem seals

Doing the work yourself is good but parts aren't cheap so im just giving you a heads up.

No mate their not bullet proof, the petrol consumption is the least of your worries.

I've just spent over £3k on my uk spec changing wishbones, eccentric adjusters and dampers.

intercooler

radiator

heater matrix

a/c rad

diff cooler

caliper seals

cam cover seals

valve stem seals

Doing the work yourself is good but parts aren't cheap so im just giving you a heads up.

WOW! :blink:

That must have been a pain in the ass"! And yeah I suppose finding parts is hard enough and being a high performance jap car it's gonna make your credit card bleed [sAD][/sAD]

WOW! :blink:

That must have been a pain in the ass"! And yeah I suppose finding parts is hard enough and being a high performance jap car it's gonna make your credit card bleed [sAD][/sAD]

Yes the mkiv is a great car but your looking at buying a 14 to 16 year old car, i can almost guarantee that if they haven't been changed then your UK spec when you find it will need a few of the items i listed above if not most of them.

Be very wary what you buy as cheap now could be very costly later.

All the best on your search

Yes the mkiv is a great car but your looking at buying a 14 to 16 year old car, i can almost guarantee that if they haven't been changed then your UK spec when you find it will need a few of the items i listed above if not most of them.

Be very wary what you buy as cheap now could be very costly later.

All the best on your search

Thank you very much for the advice and the heads up! :)

I've got some money in my savings that I could touch to buy a better looked after one but see how things go

Also reading up on these engines arn't they meant to be "bulletproof"?

They do have solid engines, and if maintained properly the engines themselves rarely give any trouble. As Dnk pointed out it's the ancilliaries that, although not weak, are a good 15 years old if not already replaced, so radiators and the like will start to let go.

Changing the heater matrix is one job that is often cited as being a PITA. When you look at a car, make sure the heater blows hot air.

Oh, and post up pics of your MR2: we're a broad church here!

Thank you very much for the advice and the heads up! :)

I've got some money in my savings that I could touch to buy a better looked after one but see how things go

No problem Andy, it's much better to buy one of these knowing the pitfalls and at least you have an idea on what to ask when you find a UK spec.

These things eat money if you want to keep it properly maintained and plenty are horror stories waiting to bite the next owner so look beyond the paintwork and blingy wheels.

If you need any help etc in the future with buying one just ask.

ATB

Dunk

intercooler

radiator

heater matrix

a/c rad

diff cooler

caliper seals

cam cover seals

valve stem seals

Wow @ Dnk, that was the black shed I saw at a pub last week in Appleby passin through then:D

scotty

Stevie b I see your point about ancilliaries but then again that will happen to any car that age. With the car well hope I can find one that some rudeboy racer hasn't raced around and redlined on every gear change he's ever done in his life.

Dnk I'll post a thread on the site about the car I'm looking at before I buy it, hopefully one of you guys will own it so I know it's better looked after and also a lot of you will have seen it at the owners club cars at meets and can tell me about it :)

I suppose I'm only going to find an automatic because I hear the manuel uk spec is so rare there's about 50 of them in the country. :rolleyes:

I've attached some pictures of my mr2 with this post. It's also got my old bmw in one of them. The individual picture of the car were taken last summer when I bought the car. I've done some more body work to it and it's spent the last few weeks off the road because it's had an engine conversion :)

Looking to sell this after it gets its mot once the exhaust system comes through the post so if anyone knows anyone that want a one off rare colour mr2 then pm me :)

mr2 1.jpg

mr2 2.jpg

mr2 3.jpg

8331_278502490351_630725351_8855242_5576393_n.jpg

8331_270312880351_630725351_8693403_7768805_n.jpg

I've attached some pictures of my mr2 with this post. It's also got my old bmw in one of them. The individual picture of the car were taken last summer when I bought the car. I've done some more body work to it and it's spent the last few weeks off the road because it's had an engine conversion :)

Looking to sell this after it gets its mot once the exhaust system comes through the post so if anyone knows anyone that want a one off rare colour mr2 then pm me :)

By the way that last picture was the day I rolled up in this at school that was funny to see people's reactions on a sunny day with the roof off :) saying that they weren't as suprised as when I rolled up in something that looks like a bmw m3 haha:d

Edited by andyc666
grammer mistake (see edit history)

Hello! Good luck with your search for the perfect Supra.

Far from being slated for being "too young," I'm truly impressed you can get a decent quote for insurance on a Supra, so why not? Buy one!

Thanks a lot man I see I lot of guys out there in their 20's driving supras and according to insurance companies under 25 is still young. At least you guys don't slate me off for being a young immature boy racer :D

Hey welcome to the club!

I was looking at UK Supra TTs when I was about 19 as well but it was the cost to buy one which is the stinger in that aspect.

I waited until I was 21 and got insured on an import TT for £950 (3 years NCB).

What sorta quote did you get on the UK spec? I was looking at about £900 at 19 for it, but decided to hang fire as the running costs would have crippled me then!

They're expensive to run for sure, but that's just what comes with having something as awesome ;)

Best of luck!

Hey welcome to the club!

I was looking at UK Supra TTs when I was about 19 as well but it was the cost to buy one which is the stinger in that aspect.

I waited until I was 21 and got insured on an import TT for £950 (3 years NCB).

What sorta quote did you get on the UK spec? I was looking at about £900 at 19 for it, but decided to hang fire as the running costs would have crippled me then!

They're expensive to run for sure, but that's just what comes with having something as awesome ;)

Best of luck!

Thanks man much appriciated!

The insurance isn't expensive at all I currently own an mr2 which I'm trying to sell and it costs me and my old man £882 a year and it's an extra £67 and year for the supra TT. Yeah the running costs will be a pain but thank God my dad's got a decent salary (not rich) but to pay for repairs and the up keep for the car plus he'll be driving it more than me because I'm at uni at the moment. I think the price of maintaining it is worth the car anyway :) I know these cars are not cheap at all especially the uk spec! But I posted a link above to one I found of pistonheads, unfortunatly it's sold but it was only £4000!!! [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

If there is anything wrong with it hopefully it won't be too hard to repair because I used to work in a garage part time and have recently converted my mr2 to a turbo :)

Edited by andyc666
spelling mistake (see edit history)

I have to echo what others have been saying.

A uk car will command a high price, Sometimes they slip though and get sold cheap. Mine was £4700 however most dealers know they can get good money for them selling them aboard so keep an eye out for them.

I will admit to looking for them purely to sell on. Best of luck finding one.