The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Safety first - Passenger side not automatically unlocking..

Scott

I assume when you pull the door handle, on the inside, the door is meant to automatically unlock? My drivers door does it but my passenger one doesn't. Everything else works flawlessly so wasn't sure if it was a drivers safety feature only or something wrong.

Any ideas?

I think the button you mention is the central locking one. When my car starts the doors lock after 5 seconds to prevent hijacking. With the door locked, I can open it from the inside without touching the lock. If I pull on the handle the lock unlocks automatically (mechanically not electrically) and the door opens fine. The same cannot be said for the passenger side.

I thought in the event of an accident the door had to be able to open from the inside even when locked.

Could be wrong though, or it might just be the drivers side.

Try it and let me know ;) (I know you don't have a supra but it might be the same for all cars if I am correct)

I always thought it was some sort of child lock, but the amount of people to try to get out of my car with it locked, and nearly pull the handle off trying to get out is starting to annoy me, incase one day the handle snaps.

Im going to look at it from the behind and see if there is a plastic link i can put in place so when you pull the handle, it latches onto the lock part and opens the door straight away, like the drivers side.

Thanks folks, that sets my mind at ease. I found it strange that the drivers side works yet the passengers doesn't, must be a child thing like one of you mentioned.

That's a product of your aftermarket alarm system. Maybe dig the manaul out if you think something is a miss?

Yeah it is bud, the alarm triggers the central locking. After that it is mechanical though, if you pull the drivers side interior handle with the door locked it will unlock and open. If you do the same with the passengers side it will remain locked.

As soon as the engine cuts out the alarm opens the doors again. This is a safety feature of the alarm system in the event of an accident. It is quite worrying for anyone without such a feature as I would panic if I was in an accident and couldn't get out (not in my car, as I would be able to get out, just in general).

Cheers :)

Yeah i got this anti-hijack feature fitted with my alarm system. Pretty handy and keeps nob heads out of your car, although i would prefer it if the door didn't unlock when the engine is turned off, because sometimes for example, when i have a KFC drive through, i go into the carpark, turn the engine off (doors unlock) and i eat my food. Its usually not until half way though im eating that i realise the doors are unlocked.

Maybe im just too concious about it, but i always like the doors locked.

Not sure what blackjax is Scott, all it has is a Toad Thatcham 1 Alarm and Immob with anti-hijack self locking.

Anyway ive been having a play today and managed to mechanically disable the child lock on the passenger side, so it now opens with one pull like the drivers side. I know it a safety feature, but i never have kids in the car, and like i said above, it will prevent people from snapping the handle off now when trying to get out the car.

By the way when i say "mechanically disable" i actually mean, find an old piece of plastic, and stick it in the handle internals so it latches onto the lock button, and pushes it open as the handle is pulled.