The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How safe is it having your tyre repaired?

j80leo

I have had a nail go through my tyre near the side but on the tread how safe is it having it repaired, before i go out a spend £185 on a new tyre.:(

all depends on how close it is to the side wall, if its too close, they cannot be repaired. Personally, I have had tyres repaired on my last car, corrado VR6 (which eats tyres just as fast as my supra) with no problems

I have had a nail go through my tyre near the side but on the tread how safe is it having it repaired, before i go out a spend £185 on a new tyre.:(

The other thing to think about - did it the tyre go down to flat while you were driving, or did it leak slowly so you found it flat later, say the next morning? If you've driven any distance at all on it completely flat, that can damage and weaken the sidewall. If it was just parked while the tyre leaked to flat and you get it off the car (or jack the car up so the weight is off the tyre), it could well be repairable.

Certainly worth taking it along to a friendly tyre place to try a repair. As Supranature said, if it's not safe they won't do it.

The other thing to think about - did it the tyre go down to flat while you were driving, or did it leak slowly so you found it flat later, say the next morning? If you've driven any distance at all on it completely flat, that can damage and weaken the sidewall. If it was just parked while the tyre leaked to flat and you get it off the car (or jack the car up so the weight is off the tyre), it could well be repairable.

Certainly worth taking it along to a friendly tyre place to try a repair. As Supranature said, if it's not safe they won't do it.

Wise words indeed

all they do is drill the hole a bit and glue a mushroom shape bung in the hole from the inside. Mushroom shape so it won't come out. Perfectly safe.

Or, if you are in south africa, they jack up the car and take the wheel off, ppump it up to a really high psi and chuck it in a bucket of water. When they find where its making bubbles they put their finger on it, take it out the water, take a fat black stick of rubber out their pocket and a bit of wire. Next, fold the ruber over the wire and poke it through the hole. Cut off excess with knife. Job done.

if you are in south africa, they jack up the car and take the wheel off, ppump it up to a really high psi and chuck it in a bucket of water. When they find where its making bubbles they put their finger on it, take it out the water, take a fat black stick of rubber out their pocket and a bit of wire. Next, fold the ruber over the wire and poke it through the hole. Cut off excess with knife. Job done.

Thats what they do here aswell :(

It is possible to repair certain damage to sidewalls as well, but you need a special kit and training to do it. I personally wouldn't trust it on something like a Supra though. I used to work for a company selling tyre and garage equipment and they did training on the kit to do it.

I'm afraid I don't know any specific places that have it. Maybe the Stapleton's STS Tyre Pro's places?

And don't believe that if it's too bad they won't repair it, there's lots of places that wouldn't give a monkies.

It is possible to repair certain damage to sidewalls as well, but you need a special kit and training to do it. I personally wouldn't trust it on something like a Supra though. I used to work for a company selling tyre and garage equipment and they did training on the kit to do it.

I'm afraid I don't know any specific places that have it. Maybe the Stapleton's STS Tyre Pro's places?

And don't believe that if it's too bad they won't repair it, there's lots of places that wouldn't give a monkies.

As far as im aware you can't repair the side wall or the top of the tyre within an inch or so of the side wall.

Sorry to bump this thread, but i noticed a nail in my T1r this morning, its almost in the centre of the tread, as the tyres are only 4 months old i don't really want to replace it, will fixing it be safe for doing silly speeds (or as fast as an NA can go)