The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what modifications to do to a supra N/A

Supra N_A

As raven has said a TT conversion is value for money.

Although I have a stainless manifold twin de cat and stainless system, air filter. I have also changed the brake pads, disks, and fluid. Also give it a good service and this should bring back some lost ponies.

Best thing you can do is find one of Nic off heres stainless steel manifolds. Maybe a cat back exhaust. Decatting can leave flats spots in the mid range, induction kits too (so stick to the OE air box).

As Nevins said, upgrade the suspension and breaking. This allows for better handling at stopping power, therefore greater speeds. That will be your biggest recommendation.

Use the search button as this has been covered in great depth hundereds of times. That will be your best way of researching this:)

What is it you're after? If its high numbers than without stupid, stupid money you wont get them on an NA engine as it is. Even the manifold is 15 bhp at the very very top end if you're luck. Better excelleration, wont happen. A nice sound then decat and induction but may get flat spots as said earlier. Track days then do the suspension and breaking.

After spending plenty of money on bumpers and wheels on mine I didn't want to sell my NA as obviously I wouldn't see any return. I therefore went down the NA-TT route. Again there is mountains of info on here about this. Some say you may as well just sell and buy a TT but having spent money on wheels, seats and bumpers it was more cost effeciant for me personly to do the conversion.

my plan is to keep the n/a when i get it for year or so then TT it as my insurance will have went down lots i spoke to some one on japnortheast said he could TT it for a great price so thats defently the way i am going:D just get it prepared for the conversion like bigger brakes, coileys etc etc ^^

would have to stick to a n/a atm matey becouse insurance is sky high atm for the TT but that would defo be later down the line!! think i should just enjoy the stock engine then went want more power futher down the line TT it?

Quotes for NA's and J-spec TT's usually come in quite close to each other unless you're very young.

Guest Budz86

Welcome mate, have you purchased yet?

Your in pretty much the same boat as me. I'm 23 now (21 when I bought it) and I'm just doing all the bit's and pieces around the conversion bar the engine. Brakes and suspension are a must! Makes a huge difference. I'm leaving the exhaust till I go TT as it will need a bigger diameter and putting a 4" system on an NA will prob just lose power. As said, stick to the OE air filter, you can change the pannel for a TRD if you like but tbh, not sure how much difference this will make.

I had the money to buy a TT and even looked at a couple, but having not driven a RWD car before, and owning nothing with a similar power to the supe I went for the NA just to learn how they handle and improve my car control. I didn't see the point in getting a TT (and like you, insurance would have been high) and wrapping it round the first lampost I cam accross! One thing is for sure, if that had happened I wouldn't have got insured on another one!

Don't know what you experiance with car's are but I think it's worth considering the above. It has the added advantage of building up your no-claims too on a RWD sports car.

Just my 2 pence worth! :D

Welcome mate, have you purchased yet?

Your in pretty much the same boat as me. I'm 23 now (21 when I bought it) and I'm just doing all the bit's and pieces around the conversion bar the engine. Brakes and suspension are a must! Makes a huge difference. I'm leaving the exhaust till I go TT as it will need a bigger diameter and putting a 4" system on an NA will prob just lose power. As said, stick to the OE air filter, you can change the pannel for a TRD if you like but tbh, not sure how much difference this will make.

I had the money to buy a TT and even looked at a couple, but having not driven a RWD car before, and owning nothing with a similar power to the supe I went for the NA just to learn how they handle and improve my car control. I didn't see the point in getting a TT (and like you, insurance would have been high) and wrapping it round the first lampost I cam accross! One thing is for sure, if that had happened I wouldn't have got insured on another one!

Don't know what you experiance with car's are but I think it's worth considering the above. It has the added advantage of building up your no-claims too on a RWD sports car.

Just my 2 pence worth! :D

cheers bud for that info yee n/a is defently the way i want to go for now:D i havent drove a rwd car before aswell or somthing as long as this lol. i have a starlet turbo and that weighs 850kg and is a small car so can imagine i need to get used to driven the supra. i havent purchased the supra yet but i am looking at getting it pretty soon:D its a aero top as well very clean.

what was it like when you 1st drove the supra?

Guest Budz86

Absolutley loved it mate! Still put's a smile on my face now everytime I drive it. Car before that was a 1.6 Punto sport, but there was nothing sporty about it!

As most will say, NA's are good to start in. They are still quick compared to a lot of cars, but after about 6 months (or your first convoy with TT's in :D) you will want more power and realistically the GTE engine is a better, and more cost effective platform to modify.

Can't stress enough though, one thing people always overlook when going for big power is the driver! If you can't control the car, there is no point having the power. Take the time to get used to it, and if you can, do some track days as it will help you find the limit's with less risk of damaging it...and getting nicked! ;)

I have owned my N/A for about 8 months now and got it when i was 20 and I paid £2100insurance.

Now im 21 i thought my insurance might of gone down quite a bit so i tried quotes for both my N/A renewal, and a TT.

The N/A renewal in Aug 2010 with 4 years NCB will be £1579

The TT will be £6K !!!!

I think ill have to stick with the N/A for a while lol.