The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will it ever end - smoked clutch

jevansio

I'm sure this car is trying my pateince, until I spoke with Hodge on the phone I was ready to sell it for whatever price it got.

So I took it out this morning to get some 30-130 stats to see if the new setup @ 1.4BAR was close to the old setup at 1.7BAR.

Sometimes the runs seemed clean but it always seemed sluggish in the higher gears (4th 5th), I didn't realise at the time but I guess it was the clutch slipping?

Anyway after a while I tried some 0-60 runs, in a moment of stupidity I thought I'd try launching in 2nd (skip a gear change and 1st is a waste of time anyway).

I was slipping the clutch quite a bit to keep the revs up, then when going to shift to 3rd there was nothing, wouldn't go in.

So am I right in thinking the clutch is totally fooked? There was no real clutch smell, no noise, clutch pedal is softer?

It was the RPS Stage 3 (which according to MVP can hold 800ft/lbs).

It's very rare I do 0-60 runs due to putting strain on the drivetrain, & I guess it's now been confirmed :D

If I were to get another clutch what would you guys recommend? Is the RPS Stage 3 no good for T67 sized cars?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll swap you :D

Edit: Is it not going into gear? Or is it engaging but not pulling? If it isn't going in that won't be because you have cooked the clutch... .at least I don't think it will. The only reason for that is when the clutch release bearing isn't releasing.

:D

It's not going into gear, I can drive it by matching the rpms perfectly and getting it out of one gear into the next (that's how I got it home), once in gear everything seems perfect.

Are there any basic checks I can do to identify exactly what has happened?

I've tried pressing the pdeal again & TBH it "feels" pretty much the same as before?

Anyway after a while I tried some 0-60 runs, in a moment of stupidity I thought I'd try launching in 2nd (skip a gear change and 1st is a waste of time anyway).

I was slipping the clutch quite a bit to keep the revs up, then when going to shift to 3rd there was nothing, wouldn't go in.

QUOTE]

Dope of the day award there! lol :p what were you thinking lol

Why have that heavy pedal and sharp engagement when you can have the stock feel and hold 700bhp with a centerforce?

You'll not to that one again :)

:D

It's not going into gear, I can drive it by matching the rpms perfectly and getting it out of one gear into the next (that's how I got it home), once in gear everything seems perfect.

Are there any basic checks I can do to identify exactly what has happened?

I've tried pressing the pdeal again & TBH it "feels" pretty much the same as before?

No idea what to try as I don't have much experience. Cooked clutch just means you get nothing when you lift it, the revs go up and it slips like a bitch. When the release bearing is fooked it won't allow the clutch to release meaning you can't get into gear.

Basically it would appear that the plates are fine, as you can drive fine by flat shifting.

The only time I have had any experience like this was when a friends clutch cable snapped and I had to drive the car home for her by flat shifting, like you did :)

Hodge will be your man :D

Guest Andy_H

Could be the master cylinder, iv had this happend on my mx5 basically you are pressing the pedal but the clutch isn't realising the drive.

Guest Budz86

Sounds like the master cylinder. If your clutch plate is worn out and slipping, you can still change gear but will have to rev the nuts of it before it moves anywhere! And you will smell it as soon as you get out of the car.

Question - how else do you test for a slipping clutch?

Hand brake on, 4 gear revs up try and pull away, should stall, or if it,s slipping rev's will climb on movement , or bit safer 30 mph, 4th gear stamp the throttle, speed should pick up or rev's will go up with no increase in speed LOL yea as above (to slow)

Been doing some investiagtion, got the inspection plate off, the clucth mechanism is working correctly (I see it all move), but it's like the friction plate is welded to the flywheel (I see the clutch moving back but the friction plate is stuck)

Can I release it by shocking it?

Been doing some investiagtion, got the inspection plate off, the clucth mechanism is working correctly (I see it all move), but it's like the friction plate is welded to the flywheel (I see the clutch moving back but the friction plate is stuck)

Can I release it by shocking it?

I did that on a evo once, worth a try i guess.

I did that on a evo once, worth a try i guess.

Just tried, just a light tap on the edges of the friction plate, but it aint budging.

When the plate welds itself to the flywheel does that normally mean that both are gash? Or is there a chance they can be realeased if the gearbox is out the way & there is good access?

Just tried, just a light tap on the edges of the friction plate, but it aint budging.

When the plate welds itself to the flywheel does that normally mean that both are gash? Or is there a chance they can be realeased if the gearbox is out the way & there is good access?

Id say both will be screwed (they was on my evo) with the price of OEM flywheels it might be time for a new billet rps carbon carbon, got mine yesterday.