The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aero N/A T Complete

Davey001

Hey all, got things started on my N/A T build got everything dry bolted on to see how things fit and it has gone together pretty well! Both oil feed and return are drilled and plugged ready, intercooler and pipework are fitted. Going to start work on electricals this weekend EM and A/F kit and other gauges. Hopefully by next weekend things should nearly be up and running and will keep updated with pictures! Davey

Photo-0077.jpg

Photo-0076.jpg

Photo-0075.jpg

Photo-0074n.jpg

Photo-0072j.jpg

Photo-0071a.jpg

Photo-0064a.jpg

Photo-0065aj.jpg

Photo-0066k.jpg

Photo-0067k.jpg

Edited by Davey001 (see edit history)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with it, always nice to see some pics of the install :)

As Gav has mentioned earlier, the turbo absolutely must have a blanket and ideally the intake pipe and joint wrapped. On NA-T the turbo is just below the intake, unless it's sealed from heat soak you might as well not bother fitting an intercooler :D

Also, how did you drill the oil drain and feeds without getting swarf into the engine, has the block been pulled before these pics?

ive not looked into the working of the supra engine but would it not be possible to use a intake manifold of a tt, sorry if it seems a simple no, or to do this would the head have to be changed or even the whole engine be changed

As I said before everything is just dry fit, just wanted to try everything in place before I heat wrap all the metal components. I think pleanty heat wrap around the silicone should protect it also will consider a blanketaround turbo! Everything is guna get stripped back again tomorow, piped up and heat wrapped in 2" fiber glass role with stainless steel tie wraps. Thanks for all your comments guys!

ive not looked into the working of the supra engine but would it not be possible to use a intake manifold of a tt, sorry if it seems a simple no, or to do this would the head have to be changed or even the whole engine be changed

Not possible, would need a TT head and by then you might as well just fit a TT engine in the first place.

As I said before everything is just dry fit, just wanted to try everything in place before I heat wrap all the metal components. I think pleanty heat wrap around the silicone should protect it also will consider a blanketaround turbo! Everything is guna get stripped back again tomorow, piped up and heat wrapped in 2" fiber glass role with stainless steel tie wraps. Thanks for all your comments guys!

Wrap is no where near enough, the turbo will need a blanket at the very least. Heat 'soak' and intake tract are the two most fundamental problems with NA-T, so must be addressed at an early stage.

Are you wrapping the runners and DP? In my experience the DP, runners and collector radiate a massive amount of heat into the bay and should always be wrapped with high quality material

Yeah wrapping them both think more the better! I aquired some great quality wrap around 100m of it. Nice and thick but enough to wrap, and the stainless steel ties pull it up nice and tight! Everything seems to be going well at the min been speaking alot to craig (dr_jekyll) as he has alot of knowledge on this subject! Just want to take my time and get it right! Not looking for big bhp just wanted a project to keep me going over the start of the year! Not bad for a joiner by trade! Will work on what I have tho! Can add more to it if I want!

XS power NA-T kit is acceptable provided the oil supply and drain lines are thrown away, along with the vacuum hoses - they are garbage. Also DO NOT use any of the fueling components in the kit, I cannot stress that enough!! Nearly killed me and Ryan a few years back!

The turbo will be okay provided you understand it's a compromised one, it's not meant for a 3litre petrol, but will *work* okay. It's one of those things that needs to be accepted as a compromise, like the NA-T conversion in general. You can't have your cake and eat it!

The manifold, wastegate, downpipe and IC pipes seem to stand up well enough under low boost on the NA-T setup (1.0 bar). A few on here have pushed them much further and AFAIK, none had major issues with the metalwork, though the wastegates do seem to have issues once they get some miles on them.

I have changed both the oil return and oil feed togood quality braided steel hose with screw on alloy fittings! The only thing iam using from the xs power kit are, T4 turbo, manifold, Downpipe and intercooler the rest of the stuff are bought from elsewhere! And i figue if I get a few miles out of this turbo its been worth it to get me started and i'll buy something better next! Dont wana splash out big time on a £300-£600 turbo at this stage. Only running low boost so will see how this goes first!

Looking good mate, from what ive seen theres a few n\a-t sceptics on here but a good few like homer and dr jekyll ect that will give you good advise

Ill tell you why... its cause no one that ive seen on here actualy fully understands what it takes to turbo an NA safely and properly.

Even the ones that have done it have not looked at an NA motor in detail. All the small differences between the two are quite important in the way the engine performs.

There is one thing i cannot stress enough, if you want big power you need to pay out for it. You cant go cheap on any proper turbo build that is why i always look at an NA-T build the same as going single on a TT.

What are you doing about headgasket? I hope your uprating your fuel pump aswel.

Id say so but to me a medium power = 400+ and at that level you need to lower the compression to a safer CR and you want a good piggy back or just full standalone but then at that level you have to start doing something about the fuel delivery i.e. alot bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump etc.