The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering Wheel Extension, Possible?

Scott

Are there any complications in extending the stock steering wheel out? I have an airbag etc so I'm guessing I would just need to extend the loom and make up a hub?

I've not had the steering wheel off so don't know of any issues. I can't think of anything in the way... is there?

Cheers

Depending on how its fitted and what style, it is a long band coiled up with 4 copper wires running down its length. This is at a preset tension and locked in place when bought as if fitted incorrectly ie, out of line when the wheel turns it snaps.

Iirc, the air bag and horn run through it. Its basically a posh way of not having wires running through the column that could twist and snap Its normally screwed to the surface behind the contact point of the wheel, depending on the style of wheel fitment this is where the problem can occur. some wheels have a tube style bit that travels through the centre of the CS others dont. I remember that to fit a after market wheel to sams colt i had to have a airbag specific hub due to this style of wheel .

Edited by nevins (see edit history)

Scot why do you want to extend the wheel in the first place? Dont Supra's have a reach/rake adjustment on the column?

I remember safety issues back in the early days of airbags in the US with BMW's where short legged ladies moved their seats closer to the wheel when driving and when some had accidents hard enough to deploy the airbag they broke their necks or received serious neck/chest injuries due to receiving the full force of the bag going off - just from being too close!

so you wanting to extending the wheel would be like sitting closer to it and if you were unlucky to have a bump that set the bag off................... then .....................:innocent:

Scot why do you want to extend the wheel in the first place? Dont Supra's have a reach/rake adjustment on the column?

I remember safety issues back in the early days of airbags in the US with BMW's where short legged ladies moved their seats closer to the wheel when driving and when some had accidents hard enough to deploy the airbag they broke their necks or received serious neck/chest injuries due to receiving the full force of the bag going off - just from being too close!

so you wanting to extending the wheel would be like sitting closer to it and if you were unlucky to have a bump that set the bag off................... then .....................:innocent:

No reach bud, just rake. Very strange that they left the reach out IMO. According to a review from the 90's they felt it wasn't necessary.

I'm 6'4 and the position I feel comfortable sitting in means that I am miles away from the steering wheel. I also need to have the rake all the way up. This means that I can comfortably hold the bottom or the sides of the wheel but I need to stretch forward to reach the top. Its not much of an issue but it means single handed control is out should the rear end decide to break ;)

I want the wheel a couple of inches closer so that I will feel in full control while still remaining comfortable. It isn't dangerous as it is just now, just not ideal for spirited driving. I need to adjust my seat and sit more forward etc etc.

It's the one gripe I have with the Supra driving experience. I was actually thinking about getting rid of the airbag & wheel in favour of a boss & momo wheel. I'll need to phone up the insurance and see what they say though.