The mkiv Supra Owners Club

blown turbo advice

Roy

hi guys - just after a bit of advice. when replacing blown turbos, is there anything else that needs doing at the same time ie. seals etc or is there anything that is recommended that should be done to ensure longevity, reliability etc etc. all your thoughts are appreciated. TIA .... :)

Originally posted by Roy

give the spoiler stealer a gold star .................. :D

nah - just kidding mate. am not going single - just don't like the delivery of the power..........:p

hybrids?

i didnt steal anything i acquired from some fool who wanted to go wingless

Originally posted by Roy

hi guys - just after a bit of advice. when replacing blown turbos, is there anything else that needs doing at the same time ie. seals etc or is there anything that is recommended that should be done to ensure longevity, reliability etc etc. all your thoughts are appreciated. TIA .... :)

You need al the gaskets replacing - these are £100 from toyota

Do NOT re-use the old gaskets!

Why dont you just get the damn things refurbed - for £600 you get peace of mind - rather than spending just a couple less and getting second hand that might do an Ashley on ya?

(note - doing an Ashley = blowing your second hand ones up after 100 miles!!)

:thumbs:

its alot of hassle to swap em over, so id get a refurb done unless yr confident in their history. to get em resealed is about £120 from turbo technics, that doesnt include new bearings, but they will test the bearing spec, that way u get new seals (what make turbos smoke) and peace of mind that the bearing is in spec. if its out of spec u'll b glad u didnt fit em.

hth

Make sure the oil return pipes are clean .... and use new gaskets.

Prime the turbos with oil before connecting the feed pipes.

If the correct tools are used and the nuts/bolts are in good shape its not a bad job..... replace any nuts/bolts that are even slightly damaged on removal.

I got the stockers off in a couple hrs .... but the fasteners were all in good nick

I might have the oil return gaskets and manifold to head sealing rings kicking around the shed if Toyota have to order...

I'd also get the manifold drilled for an egt probe whilst its stripped..

paul - your concern and excellent advice is much appreciated. :) if it comes to that - i haven't totally gone off the re-furb idea YET !

eyefi/matt - thanks so much. so gotta remember seals, gaskets, oil feed pipes and to remember to prime them.

matt - i take your point re the fasteners and nuts/bolts. will PM you if i need the gaskets n seals from ya. thanks.

(manifold already drilled for EGT)