The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Radiator Replacement Guide?

AlanM

I am sure at some stage I saw a thread detailing a radiator change on here but I can't find it now I have to do the job. Anyone point me towards it?

Hopefully won't need it anway, should be pretty straightforward, it is just in case there is anything I am unaware of. Imagine a blooming radiator only lasting 17 years, might write to Mr T and complain :D

Car up on axle stands with the front in the garage (because of that crazy ass thunder and lightning like 20 mins prior!):

No undertray to worry about as it was already gone!:

Lower fan shroud off (held by metal clips):

Rad Temp Sensor unplugged from back; overflow pipe, top rad hose and rad cap off; fan plug off; 2 plugs in the back of the shroud disconnected, top rad clamps taken off while rad was being drained:

Once fully drained, bottom rad hose disconnected and the radiator removed (fans and shroud still attached):

Gap left from taking the rad out:

Kieran made sure to tape up the temp sensor thread using PTFE tape:

Everything was then carried out in reverse to fix everything back together and, to fill the radiator back up, my Volvic bottle was sadly sacrificied () to use as a (note: PERFECTLY sized!) funnel:

The bottle even threaded with the overflow haha!

Car was started up with the bottle still in place instead of the cap while the rad fluid level dropped through so that any air bubbles could be seen easily.

Checked for leaks and all was good (there was a slight spill over from the top at the bottle but otherwise all was spot on).

Rad cap put back on and everything double checked to ensure all was correct (temp sensor fitted to new rad, radiator clamps, the cable clips and the temp sensor and aircon fan plugs, the bottom rad hose, the top rad hose, the overflow pipe and the bottom section of the fan shroud with the clips).