The mkiv Supra Owners Club

overboost problem

L33

when ryan mapped the car it was set to 1 bar of boost

on my defi gauge i done a peak check and it read 1.5, so i reset the peak and boosted again and again up to 1.5 bar.

i have a blitz dual spec boost controller (2nd hand) and i turned what i think was the boost down, think its in psi so i turned it down from 32 to 18 and reset the peak again and it was boosting at 1 bar! great.....then i tried again 1.2....again 1.5 grrr, down to 16 which is what 1 bar should be and it happened the same.

there is no units so im assuming its psi im turning down, thats why i dont it gradually as i didnt know what i was changing

why am i over boosting? is it the boost controller not doing its job?!

i dont want to keep on like it as it sounds like its spitting flames when im on full boost, hard to hear any thing with the screamer pipe which still scares the sh!t out of me!!

cheers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its a tial 44mm wastegate?

i was maped to 1 bar, but when we were going to try and fit the solaris we were going to raise to 1.5 bar

Not the waste gate itself, the waste gate exit pipe from the manifold, if the hole is to small it will over boost, might not be this but id say there is a good chance it is, i wonder if it was over boosting that killed the last engine that manifold was attached to? Geordiesteves engine failure?

well looking at it jamie, his engine was dry of oil when they stripped it, and the gt4088 which i recently found out was shot as that was the first time it was taken apart since it came off his car! and it was shot because the gasket used between the manifold and turbo was a twin scroll not open so the middle bit of the gasket looked like it came off and it was all burnt, which looked like it cooked the exhaust wheel of the 4088

just seen the manifolds on whifbitz and there 1200!!!

there has to be another option?

it says T4 but i have no idea what that means? i have the BW 91 79 open turbo with 3" v band, 44mm tial ext wastegate and screamer pipe so what do i need to look for?

this sucks :(

i think so? i dont really know much tbh i just get told what to buy then order it :(

is that what attaches to the manifold? the one i have now is open as i remember whifbitz asking is my manifold open or twin scroll and i had to phone the garage to find out which the xs power is and it was open

has a 3" v band what ever that is?

i think so? i dont really know much tbh i just get told what to buy then order it :(

is that what attaches to the manifold? the one i have now is open as i remember whifbitz asking is my manifold open or twin scroll and i had to phone the garage to find out which the xs power is and it was open

has a 3" v band what ever that is?

Yes that's right. Sounds like Paul got an undivided one.

Divided:

http://www.ardesign.info/catalog/images/S372%2080%20AR%20T-4.JPG

Undivided:

http://www.bullseye-power.com/images/turbopics/S366T-3SS.JPG

cheers for that, looks like the whifbitz one is cheapest

the bottom left of the manifold in the whifbitz link, why is there a pipe that seems to just stick out? compared to say the boostlogic one?

be nice to have a manifold that every thing fits straight on, turbo, wastegate, down pipe ect so its a simple swap

cheers for that, looks like the whifbitz one is cheapest

the bottom left of the manifold in the whifbitz link, why is there a pipe that seems to just stick out? compared to say the boostlogic one?

be nice to have a manifold that every thing fits straight on, turbo, wastegate, down pipe ect so its a simple swap

That's for the wastegate to connect onto.

Looking at the BL manifold, it looks like it comes with a 4 bolt wastegate connection, which won't fit your tial wastegate if it has a v-band connection.

Its cast rather than tubular welded. Much much cheaper to buy but not shiney and pretty lol. Not sure at what level it becomes a restriction but I believe it is at least 600-800hp.

Would be fine for your application :)

I think they come in at around £300. I was planning on using one more so for the torque advantages.