The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upgrading front brakes

Ricky49

I thought it would be a good mod to upgraded them.

More power would require better braking ability.

The UK brakes are a great bit of kit mate, provided you use the right pads. You won't get more stopping power with a bigger kit, just less resistance to fade. Seeing as mine won't fade after a lap of the 'Ring driving fairly hard, I wouldn't be too worried. Don't forget decent fluid too, that makes a big difference.

My pads a the moment are as LeeP said shocking, they are Poterfield and I think they are for track use.

Might get a set of CW pads or something similar any ideas.

The UK brakes are a great bit of kit mate, provided you use the right pads. You won't get more stopping power with a bigger kit, just less resistance to fade. Seeing as mine won't fade after a lap of the 'Ring driving fairly hard, I wouldn't be too worried. Don't forget decent fluid too, that makes a big difference.

My pads a the moment are as LeeP said shocking, they are Poterfield and I think they are for track use.

Might get a set of CW pads or something similar any ideas.

I'm using Endess CCX carbon-ceramic compound pads and I've been impressed so far. Better than the Tarox ones I used before. They're expensive, but worth it IMHO. Cheaper than the AP kit :p

Going single in a few months and I'm thinking of changing my UK spec front brakes to some AP racing 356mm 6 pots.

Mite seem a daft question but if I do this would there be any issues with still using the UK rears.

I have AP Racing 356mm 6 pots on my M3. They are awesome brakes, the stopping power is incredible. On a M3 it's a necessary upgrade if you drive the car hard, because the stock brakes are terrible. But on a Supra I personally wouldn't bother spending the 2k, the stock UK brakes are plenty good enough with OE discs and the right pads and decent fluid.

I also have the (brand new) AP 4 pot rears but I've never got round to fitting them. I don't have any problem with the brake balance.

I had 356mm KAD 6 pot brakes on my single Supra and standard uk rears, no problem there either.

I have UK spec brakes with 3G GR20 discs and Endless SSS pads. I also use Motul - RBF 600 fluid, Goodridge braided lines and a Cusco master brace

Great setup works very well. I would have to see hard facts about how much better a £2000 set of brakes are on the roads before I would consider the upgrade.

I spent £2000 on my Hi Spec Mega Monsters, Not just for the stopping power but for the looks too. You won't regret getting big brakes as long as you don't mind the attention they bring :D

I looked at Hispec mega monsters aswell but for a similar price I can get the brembos fronts. What do you have on the rears?