The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my tyre reviews

dr_jekyll

hello everybody.

seeing as many people ask questions on tyres and what to buy i thaqught i would share my experiences.

I am slightly obsessed with tyres and spend alot of my spare time trying different things with them.

In this thread i will be using different brnads and models of tyres on my supra for road use only in real life situations in all conditions and giving my thaughts and opinions on them.

i will be trying different tyres every 3-4 months .

I have just used a set of pirelli p-zero assimetricos and they will be my first review

hope this is helpfull and enjoyable.

craig

post #2 pirelli p-zero

post #24 toyo t1-R (rear performance)

post #31 continental sport contact 2

Edited by dr_jekyll (see edit history)

make: Pirelli

model: p-zero assimetric

catagory: premium

RRP: front £139.00 pt

rear £175.00 pt

size : front 235/40/18

Rear 275/35/18

pressure : front 32psi

rear 30psi

dry weather:

In the dry i found the tyre to be realible and predictable.

the tyres a quiet hard in compound and this shows when the tyre is cold on early monings, any hard acceliration would be greated by alot of wheelspind but the spin was noticeable decreased after 5 minuets of spirited driving. the tyres offer good waring before they give up grip whilst cornering as they constantly begin to "squeal" about 5mph before.

once up to temperature they offer good linier and lateral grip never allowing the car to spin on a second to third change and intial bite from the line was good.

wet weather:

i was most impressed with the p-zero assametric in the rain.

they have exelent water clearence and provided good grip whilst cornering and breaking in the wet. they were verry resistant to aquaplaing and only once did i get a small float at about 40mph on roughly an inch of standing water.

summary:

in all i liked the p-zero and would use again. they offer good grip levels in wet and dry and wear verry well. in the 1000 miles i used them they have lost less than 1 mm of tread , there only downfall being a slight lack of grip when cold giving wheelspind and understeer.

dry grip 7/10

wet grip 8/10

tradwear 9/10

overall 8/10

i am currently running the continental sport contact 2 through its paces and will ad my reveiw when i feel i have used the tyre in all circumstances.

Edited by dr_jekyll (see edit history)

Without wishing to sound pretentious, what qualifies you to score such things?

Do you try them on track, around the same corners, on the same roads, do you have any way of measuring grip (lateral and under acceleration) and how will you measure braking performance?

Also, would be a good idea to state how much water they displace in the wet.

With tyres, it's very easy to score them once you've paid for them. Your opinion may well have changed 6000 miles down the road, though.

Without wishing to sound pretentious, what qualifies you to score such things?

Do you try them on track, around the same corners, on the same roads, do you have any way of measuring grip (lateral and under acceleration) and how will you measure braking performance?

Also, would be a good idea to state how much water they displace in the wet.

As said, this is on the road in real life condidtions , no science or coperate jargin like you get with all the high profile reviews . im using the tyres for 3 month in all situations and conditions and telling you what I think. Not what iv heard or read about them just my own findings and opinions 1st hand.

like i say in my initial post, i am constantly trying different tyres on my cars and vans so when costomers ask for my opinion i can give them an honest first hand opinion not just recite from a brochure .

so i thaught i would do the same on my supra and tell a mass of other supra owners what i think about certain tyres on these same chassis similarly weighted front engine rwd cars.

i apriciate no 2 cars are the same and that for race / track driving these reviews are irrelivant but the majority of owners use there cars on the road as road cars so these are the conditions im testing the tyres in

Fair enough - maybe we should have a 'tyre review' thread then so others can give input. That way you get the best of all worlds, plus you get much more content.

I agree there's a requirement for a one-stop resource for rubber. It's hard finding the right tyres for what you want.

Good idea mate :)

cool, i will look forward to more reviews. Im still on stock wheels, and therefore in perpetual about to upgrade to some nice wheels mode. So i have not bothered putting any premium brands on. Just curiouse if you will be doing any not budget, but not primium tyre reviews.

i will be trying some mid range and some budgit tyres in the futer

Fair enough - maybe we should have a 'tyre review' thread then so others can give input. That way you get the best of all worlds, plus you get much more content.

I agree there's a requirement for a one-stop resource for rubber. It's hard finding the right tyres for what you want.

Good idea mate :)

it would be good if every body could do a review on a specific set of tyres . save me the time and money and all input is welcome.

and then we would have a tyre database so next time some one starts a "what tyre thread" we can just point them this way.:)

That thread is meaningless because people kept quoting the list incorrectly.

If it was structured better I can see it working.

You could have the brand name followed by "1 2 3 4..."

Each number being a review written by yourself and the number added on - linking directing to your exact post in the thread.

That imo wouild be perfect but for some I think that might be too complex.. :search:

well the way i was thinking . 1 titled post box for each tyre. a review followed by other peoples coments opinions and input on that tyre then move on to the next,

that way its not a case of putting them in a rank order, it gives people to see what other real life people think of them and they can then make there own descision based on that.

If it was structured better I can see it working.

You could have the brand name followed by "1 2 3 4..."

Each number being a review written by yourself and the number added on - linking directing to your exact post in the thread.

That imo wouild be perfect but for some I think that might be too complex.. :search:

No, it's the opposite. It's not in depth enough for something like tyres. We need to understand how the tyres act under different conditions, on different cars with different setups. Then it becomes easy to match a tyre to your car, and hence helps you make the big decision.

I spent a LONG time choosing my last set (bought last week, in fact) and asked several people's opinions along the way. What I think this could turn into is a resource which saves others the trouble.

If we could get input from people like CW, Chiefgroover, Jamie P, Bignum, Suprash, M5WTT, Paul Whiffin, Steve L, etc etc etc then we'd start to get a really comprehensive list together.

well the way i was thinking . 1 titled post box for each tyre. a review followed by other peoples coments opinions and input on that tyre then move on to the next,

that way its not a case of putting them in a rank order, it gives people to see what other real life people think of them and they can then make there own descision based on that.

That would be good too. Since newbs like me could search for the tyre name they were thinking of buying and get some ideas.. :)

could a mod clean this up please so we can keep it to the piont for easy refrance when needed . thanks

I vote we leave it like this for a while so people can get an idea of the thinking that went into it, then prune it when more people have added their thoughts. I'll aim to do mine tomorrow when I've had a bit less wine.

What about this for an idea, keep this thread as chat, and then I'll put together a no-chit chat thread with a table in it, similar to the ECU thread with subjective ratings in it with some headings such as Model, Size, Price, Wet Rating, Dry Rating, Wear Rating, Short Comment?

What about this for an idea, keep this thread as chat, and then I'll put together a no-chit chat thread with a table in it, similar to the ECU thread with subjective ratings in it with some headings such as Model, Size, Price, Wet Rating, Dry Rating, Wear Rating, Short Comment?

I think there are too many variables involved though, unless you're going to include the whole spec and the driving style of the member... plus, if someone just bought their Supra and replaced their Wang Toppo Plus with some Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, they're going to think the tyres are great, but only with regards to the Wangs.

Personally, I think we should keep it less regimented and actually let people write their own opinions, with a set of criteria (state price, tyre, front/rear, where bought, etc).

Tyre: Toyo T1-R (rear only)

Size: 275/35/18

Price: £405 for two, filled with nitrogen and fitted at Micheldever Tyres

The car: single turbo Supra (500bhp), Bilsteins with Eibach springs

I had R888s on the rear before I decided I’d benefit from a road tyre, so much of my comparison relates to the differences between the two. I’m using Goodyear F1 GSD3 on the front.

Dry: the T1-R performs admirably in the dry. Road noise is minimal, especially compared to a track-orientated tyre like the R888. It’s amazing, after using more extreme tyres for a year or so, how much of a difference noise makes to the driving experience. Lateral grip is good, although high speed cornering does feel slightly ‘wallowy’ on occasion because of the softer sidewall. Slow speed cornering is nice and light, with lots of grip available.

Wet: the R888 really suffers in the wet, so this isn’t a completely fair fight. The T1-R seems to displace huge amounts of water with its ‘V’ shaped tread, and works well with the Goodyear F1s I’m using on the front. The car feels nice and balanced, with the tyres providing very similar grip levels over both axles.

Acceleration: performance is nowhere near the R888, and I often find the T1-R scrabbling for grip in the first three gears, even with low boost, short-throttle take-offs. However, because slides are quite predictable and manageable, you learn to factor this into your driving style when taking off from junctions.

Conclusion: the best mid-range tyre I’ve tried. For price vs performance they’re on par with the old Goodyears I used to swear by (but couldn’t find).