The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo probs

dannyspeed

I think my turbos have just died. i was bombing down a slip road this morning on the way to santa pod and between 3-4000rpm the was a loud click and the power just died. had a look under the bonnet and nothing seems to have come apart. the engine runs fine, no warning lights on the dash. drives ok just no power and i cant here the whistle from the 1st turbo anymore and it dosent feel like it wants to go over 3000rpm. its a jap spec with a recently fitted blitz nur spec r and de-cat with 70k. Are my turbos dead and if so do i need to replace both or just the first one whice is the one i think has gone? any help will be pukka.

Danny,

Have you got a boost gauge mate? If so, are you seeing any boost at all? If no boost then, as SimonB said, it might well be a problem with the intercooler ducting. Although mine has never come apart on the side Simon mentioned, mine always seems to blow apart down by the side of the radiator on the passenger side. You can see it better if you take the battery and battery tray out.

Good luck.

cheers guys problem sorted. the hose that comes out of the carb thats linked near the bottom of the rad on the passanger side popped off. took the battery+tray out to fix it. glad it aint the turbos got some big plans for some big twins next year.