The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bleeding UK Brakes

Paul Laing

Just finished fitting my new break pads today with the help of my dad. Will these need to be bled? There very soft but when i took the car out to test them they got better in time, but still very spongey! Will these get better or should i bleed them? Whats the best way to do this? Mines a UK Spec.

Cheers,

Paul

My brakes are also quite 'spongy' on the pedal but they still provide the same amount of brake power as a 'hard feel' brake. Due to the way the brakes work you will still get the same brake force. But you will need to bed your new pads in as Rob says.

I kinda like the longer pedal travel as it makes 'heel & toe' braking easier.

:p

Cheers lads, the more I drive the car the better the brakes get but on a few hard stops from speed they make some mad noises….suppose there just bedding in. I had to take the left hand side callipers off, so will I need to bleed them? Looking at the bleeding nipples lol they look like they bleed themselves as when we took the calliper off fluid was coming from it.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Looking at the bleeding nipples lol they look like they bleed themselves as when we took the calliper off fluid was coming from it.

OMG!!

Just don't bring your car ANYWHERE near where I'll be driving please!

Where brakes are concerned, if your knowledge is as slim as this post would suggest, then get someone to look at them who knows what they're doing!

Where brakes are concerned, you must do the job right. If you don't know what you're doing, then find someone who does. You rarely get a second chance if you suddenly lose your brakes completely.

OK Paul, calm down!

If your dad knows what he's doing, then fine, maybe you should ask him.

I was merely commenting on the part of your post where you said fliud was escaping from the bleed nipple. When he saw that, your dad obviously told you not to take it on the road under any circumstances until he's sorted it, right?