The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full respray - £1000 - rubbish

Attero

My mate is telling me that if I took my Supra in for a full respray anywhere on the island here, I could get it done for a £1000+. :rolleyes:

And he continues to argue with me that for that cost, I would get the paintwork restored to it's original state and get it looking shinier than ever.

I told him that a full respray would cost me around the £2000 mark to get it done properly.

So is the £2000-2300 mark a good deal for a full respray restoring the paintwork and giving it the shine it deserves?

My supra is black.

All depends on quality you want, you prob could get a full respray for £1000, doubt that would include a full colour change, if it did doubt they would do the shuts.

Paint is a lot to do with price, use a cheap paint and you get a cheap finish, more expensive paints such as House of Kolor can set you back anything from £3000 to £8000.

Do you want a full colour change or just make the black look its best..? If you want to keep it black you could just have it machine polished/detailed, cheaper option..!!

I had all my kit fitted, doors custom made and full colour change from Astal Black to Velvet Blue for 2k.

My mate is telling me that if I took my Supra in for a full respray anywhere on the island here, I could get it done for a £1000+. :rolleyes:

And he continues to argue with me that for that cost, I would get the paintwork restored to it's original state and get it looking shinier than ever.

I told him that a full respray would cost me around the £2000 mark to get it done properly.

So is the £2000-2300 mark a good deal for a full respray restoring the paintwork and giving it the shine it deserves?

My supra is black.

£1000 sounds very cheap, I paid £2970 for a full re spray.Doors,bonnet and hatch off jobbie.

I would keep the colour black.

I want the black restored to it's original state, if not looking better.

Then try a mop and polish first, will be much much cheaper than a respray. Find someone who is poo hot at detailing (sure there are several people on here that are) and get some quotes.

Mopping with get rid of scratches and make the paint look as new.

If not £1000 for a blow over in the same colour is about right. Friend of mine had her polo blown over in the same colour and had the roof painted gloss black and all for £600.

Same colour blow overs are cheaper as priming is not usually required, just a quick going over with a scotch pad.

if you are not changing colour 1000 quid is not absurd! i got a full colour change from silver to black including all shuts but no engine bay for 1800 (he was a mate) but if your not changing the colour its not that much work for a good sprayer! when choosing a sprayer make sure you have seen there present work as well as some past work to see how well it survives!!!!

Firstly, you MUST see other complete resprays they have done, never take anyone word for it. I did the the guy next door to phoenix did a colour change for £2500 using the cheapest paint on the market and lets 37 runs and overspray everywhere.

You need GOOD paint also, quality varies greatly, and go for a longer bake time version if you have a choice.

PPG, Sikkens etc are good.

You can get a full respray for £1000 but at that price it usually involves masking off the windows and trim, blow over with original colour....end of job. Looks good, but nowhere near as good as a full windows out, strip down, primer, paint job. Plus if you get it detailed you end up with clear looking patches where the machine takes of a little too much of the 'new' paint and goes into the original laqeur.

If you want it done, get it done properly.

Mine was £2700 from memory and was still a poor job. I suspect it depends on who is doing it.

It certainly does. I will need to check their portfolio beforehand. See cars that have been done from them.

If you want it done, get it done properly.

Precisely my point.

Firstly, you MUST see other complete resprays they have done, never take anyone word for it.

Exactly. This is what my mates don't do. I demand to view other cars. They don't understand that I want things done properly. Whereas they would quite happily spend £300 on a full respray of a Supra (luckily they don't own any).

I was shocked how much half decent paints costs. Everything in the paint industry seems expensive.

My mate in devon has just spent £50k on a spray booth, you can buy a flat in that area for the same price.

And regulations are very strict aswel and he said everything is waterbased now too which aint cheap.

I was shocked how much half decent paints costs. Everything in the paint industry seems expensive.

My mate in devon has just spent £50k on a spray booth, you can buy a flat in that area for the same price.

And regulations are very strict aswel and he said everything is waterbased now too which aint cheap.

i dont understand the point of the whole water based stuff as you still need to use normal solvent based laquer over it

You would save a LOT of £££ by stripping the car and reassembling yourself, its a good 2-3 days work, cost that out in an hourly rate!!!.

and if you do......make sure you get a pack of small plastic bags to put the screws and fitting from each location into and clearly mark where they go. You'll need professional help to get the rear quarter glass out.

is there still much money to be made in body work? I want a new career, something do do with working on cars, and body work would be an excellent skill to have.

Looking into qualifications at the moment but not sure what realistic money from the job would be.

Guest Carsten

3000 Pound for a respray? Are they nuts?

Here in Ger you get a complete Respray (excluding engine Bay) for about 1200-1500 Pund. Though if you do the prework for yourself. Dismantling and so on.

`Elf and safety, EU regulations, the Greens, local councils, between the *astards the jobs knackered.

A friend of mine did mine 15 months ago. He is now out of business (and he is a brilliant paint sprayer) due to EU Regs etc, requiring a different skip for every different type of paint pot and so on ..............:(

Mine was £2500ish and that was all glass out, and panels off, same colour and fully waxoyled,complete new glass and window door seals (which I supplied)