The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS SSQV Relocation

Paul Laing

I want to relocate my HKS Bov to the front side of my bumper to make it sound loud :p

Call me a ricer but i don't care, i'm sick of it being muffled. Anyway has this been done before and will it sound louder? The sound proofing kills the sound like.....i know thats what it's there for but i want to scare old grannys :p ;)

Whats the easiest way to do this?

Paul :thumbs:

Don't know about the technical side, but I guess it can be mounted on any of the piping before or after the intercooler. Mine is on the hard pipe next to my battery; I've seen cars with FMICs with SSQVs mounted on the piping in the bumper valences. Will deffo be louder I reckon: mine being at the front where the bonnet is thin it's pretty loud, especially as it 'fires' the air sideways, across the radiator hose, rather than into the engine bay itself.

Seb

'cause they use a MAF (mass air flow) sensor rather than MAP (manifold air pressure)

The MAF measures how much air is going into the engine ahead of the IC. If you then let a load of it out through a DV, the fuelling goes all to pot and you can end up with dodgy idling/stalling on gearshifts.

It all depends on how much air your getting rid of as to how bad the effect is.

Hope that helps.

Because us Uk'ers have a Mass Aif Flow sensor.

When the bov dumps the air to the atmosphere the ECU thinks that this air has been recurculated back into the system (But it hasnt!)

Problems assosiated with this will be stalling at low revs!

I live with it and you can learn to stop the car from stalling by trying not to pull of quick (making boost) and then braking hard!

Thats the only problem i have!

Originally posted by TLicense

'cause they use a MAF (mass air flow) sensor rather than MAP (manifold air pressure)

The MAF measures how much air is going into the engine ahead of the IC. If you then let a load of it out through a DV, the fuelling goes all to pot and you can end up with dodgy idling/stalling on gearshifts.

It all depends on how much air your getting rid of as to how bad the effect is.

Hope that helps.

I've had no difference in performance/stalling etc since fitting mine.

Wouldnt have thought so!

You have a S-AFC at all?

Apexi promote the fact that there unit cures erratic idle problems associated with vent to atmophere bovs on cars with MAF sensors.

I have a S-AFCII waiting to be installed but havent had the time to do it. Hoping it stops my car from stalling anyways.

The vent to atmos BOV issue relates to all UK Supras, not just autos, it relates to the MAF / AFM not the type of gearbox - the potential stalling is just the tip of the iceberg, the real issue is causes when the ECU adjusts fuelling in line with the amount of air it believes to be in the system, firstly you overfuel then when the sensors realise this the fuelling is cut and you run a brief lean period - detonation isn't something you want to encourage is it?

And now a few words from CW - an old post on the MR2 list that he probably posted here too....

"For those sick of reading about my blow off valve saga, stop right now.

For those who would learn from my mistakes read on To those that proffered advice, sincere thanks, it's been an interesting learning curve.

The following is based on my Skyline experience, with air usage measured by air flow meters before the turbos. It is not applicable to cars that soley use a MAP sensor and throttle angle for air measurement .

In other words early MR2 turbos with none standard BOV' venting to atmosphere are at risk, later ones with MAP sensors are not.

To recap I put in a bigger intercooler and the standard Skyline duct that runs across the lower front of the car taking dumped air from the 2 blow off valves to the intake between the air flow meters and the twin turbo inlets was masking air exiting the lower 4 rows of the new IC.

Having spent a good deal of money on this item it pained me to see some of effectively blanked off. So I decided to blank the inlet off altogether where the cross pipe entered the turbo inlet ducting, remove the cross pipe and vent to atmosphere. The dump valves were being held open at idle by the idle vacuum level, so after ages of pondering i made a set up of solenoids to control when vacuum was applied to the dump valves. This set up worked perfectly. *HOWEVER* a much more serious problem occurred, which any similarly inducted turbo car will potentially suffer if the boost air is dumped to atmosphere rather than as standard into the air intakes after the AFM (s). On the overrun, after a period of boost running, the standard set up will recirculate the excess boost back into the turbos, through the IC, and back through the dump valves to the turbo inlet again until the turbos inertia has slowed them to the point of little or no boost. The AFM's do not see any more air entering the engine, as it is being recirculated.

However, when we dump to atmosphere, that air is lost from the system and the turbos draw in fresh air via the AFM (s). This causes the engine to go mad rich, as the throttles are closed and no fuel is really needed. Hence the black smoke seen on the overrun after my mods. Worse still was a noticeable but very short period of detonation when coming hard back on the throttle. This puzzled me totally, then it dawned. As the fuel system started working normally again the Lambda sensor "caught up" with what was happening, saw a very overly rich mixture, and shut down the injector pulse width, creating a very lean mixture, causing a brief, but very dangerous period of detonation!

I spent the afternoon and evening making new bracketry for the IC, new hoses and adaptors and shifting the IC forward that critical 40 mm or so, enabling me to fit the original moulded duct from the BOV's behind the IC without blocking it. Quite a lot of work and fabrication...

However, the mod I was planning could well have caused damage, and is certainly something to be very aware of if one has a similar AFM pre turbo set up changed to dump boost to atmosphere. The type of BOV matters not, it's the fact that the air no longer re circulates but is lost from the system, confusing the AFM (s) into thinking the engine is wanting more air/fuel mixture. An oscilloscope on the O2 sensors confirmed what was happening. We live and learn, often the hard way, but in this case not as hard a lesson as it might have been. I hope this helps, I searched the web long and hard for references to BOV problems, and failed to find any details of why dumping to atmosphere on none MAP sensor systems, that aren't mapped for this, is potentially dangerous.

I can now finally make some proper seals to make sure all air entering the radiator ducting passes through the IC, something HKS totally fail to address, at the moment most air will go around rather than through the IC core.

Best Regards,

Chris Wilson

http://www.formula3.demon.co.uk

(Race car and engine preparation and development)"

I hear a lot of the MR2 chaps say they have "no problems" with their vent to atmos BOVs - but how many of them just mean the car idles rather than looking at the real issues they could be facing?

Interesting stuff....

Chris just did a BPU on my car (TRL FCD and Bleed valve combination + RLTC+ 4 wheel alignment), excellent job, really decent guy too.

As part of the serivce, Chris checked my turbos because I thought I was suffering from T2 problems, turns out that the lag is probably becasue I have hybrids fitted, could not contain my exitement when Chris told me this :)

He also said..... "There are some very odd things about your car!", I took this to mean that it may actually be better than the stock set up, perhaps that is the reason why I don't have any problems with the BOV... Who knows!

I'm seeing Chris again soon to have the boost ajusted, if I remember I'll ask him about the BOV on my car, I honestly don't have any stalling issues at all.... Fortunately!!!

I know it sounds funny but autos do stall with a "dump to atmosphere" BOV

It happens in first gear for me.

If i pull off quickly, make a bit of boost, then brake to a standstill the gearbox doesnt disengage from the gear quick enough causing the revs to drop low anyway. At the same time my bov has dumped some air out and my mixture is all screwed up causing the engine to stall.

It never happend to me untill i put on my SSQV honestly!

Someone back me up please!!!

I feel a hammering comming on!!! :( :(