The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice appreciated

Guest GT Destroyer

Guest GT Destroyer

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1210832.htm

Here is a Supra I can not stop looking at/thinking about. Its up with WRC in Bradford W Yorks. I'm very close to actually being in a position to hand over the money and buy a Supra, and would welcome any thoughts and advice from you, the experts.

This is manual, TT, low miles 57K, I like the kit on it although not 100% on the wheels, it has black leather, and the engine looks relatively unmolested. On the face of it, it looks to have ticked loads of boxes for me (black would be perfect but I don't mind silver)

So I might get some negative comments about WRC, but a car is a car right? If this car is spot on, I shouldn't let the place its being sold put me off???

Thanks for any help you can offer.

James.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got no experience of WRC, but I would certainly look into the negative comments and then check as to why they are negative. Sometimes people are negative for no reason but when there is a lot of negative comments something isn't right.....

10k for a 93??? I'd want a LOT of mint (read proper mint) car for that.

Also that doesn't have a FULL veilside kit....

EDIT : Looking at it, if your budget is 10k....wait for the black one you want....

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)

Guest GT Destroyer
Errr...about £4K overpriced IMHO

Stop thinking about it - get a grip! :)

Really, even for a manual TT with 57K

Suppose a grip might be what I need! I wouldn't pay 10 for it, but its interesting to read comments about it, and the cost etc...

A supra is definately the one for me, I think I'm strangely too attached to this one though. Loads of research to do, I do appreciate the comments so far.

Thanks.

Guest GT Destroyer

the mileage is a big thing for me. I've a big issue with spending so much cash on a car so old, many are high miles (or high in my own opinion) This one has caught my eye because of the decent miles on it. I would definately make sure I was 100% happy with the dash/clocks/condition just to make sure it all tied up with 57K.

Also see with it being an import, how would that work with a HPI check as a way of determining mileage?

Also see with it being an import, how would that work with a HPI check as a way of determining mileage?

the mileage is high for a reason - these cars are old whether we like it or not and are used and most probably genuine.

This one has caught my eye because of the decent miles on it.

Thats why most will clock cars to attract people like you :)

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Thats why most will clock cars to attract people like you :)

Talking of clocked cars, Hadyns old car, he sold it at 140,000miles and now its being sold at 80,000miles on ebay.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=203450

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-AUTO_W0QQitemZ220529918778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item33589b833a

the mileage is a big thing for me. I've a big issue with spending so much cash on a car so old, many are high miles (or high in my own opinion) This one has caught my eye because of the decent miles on it. I would definately make sure I was 100% happy with the dash/clocks/condition just to make sure it all tied up with 57K.

Part of the problem is the mkiv's good build quality so clocking a few miles off is easy to get away with, im afraid im an old sceptic these days and after having a lot of dealings in the motor trade im afraid i wouldnt trust 90 % off them to tell the truth.

Talking of clocked cars, Hadyns old car, he sold it at 140,000miles and now its being sold at 80,000miles on ebay.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=203450

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-TWIN-TURBO-AUTO_W0QQitemZ220529918778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item33589b833a

I might email the seller and ask how the mileage has changed :)

I sold an Alpina 535 B10 several years ago which i'd restored but the car had done over 250k, it had a full rebuild along with a proper repaint and i sold it to a car trader, several weeks later it was back up for sale with 75k on the clock and double what i sold it for :blink:

It actually featured in the BMW car magazine

Says it all really

Guest GT Destroyer
Why don't you give jurgen a call at jm imports he will source you very tidy car for that money with decent mileage and the colour you want

Jurgen is the next message I send out - I've had a look about and see that he is super reliable with his cars.

Again thanks for the help - What are the signs of a clocked Supra, are there any specific things to look out for?

Jurgen is the next message I send out - I've had a look about and see that he is super reliable with his cars.

Again thanks for the help - What are the signs of a clocked Supra, are there any specific things to look out for?

The problem is, it isn't exactly the hardest thing to do. Clocking a supra is in fact a 10 minute job :(

Obviously MOTs and paperwork help, but there is no definite single way of checking.

Guest GT Destroyer
Are you wanting someone to say 'yes buy it'? Simply said it is overpriced and needs mileage verification.... I don't think too many people here will say it is worth 10k.

No I'm not Gav. I'm after thoughts/comments etc... which I have got already in only 1/2 hour! I think its wise to post something like this and just get a feel for people's thoughts etc.....

No I'm not Gav. I'm after thoughts/comments etc... which I have got already in only 1/2 hour! I think its wise to post something like this and just get a feel for people's thoughts etc.....

Fair play, might have come across a little blunt on my side... Take your time and think with your head not your heart. It is definitely a buyer's market. You said in the first post you wanted a black one, stick to your guns, maybe wait a wee bit and get the one that hits ALL the buttons for you :)

Guest GT Destroyer

ah don't worry about being blunt Gav, I understand. :)

Black is the one really, but the colour choice is black, then white, then silver in order.

I would highly recommend jurgen and I know there are many other guys on here who would, he certainly knows what he's talking about when it comes to supras. For 10k he will source you a very nice car to your spec.