The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rusty nuts

JS2004

As the title says - I have rusty nuts! :p

Spent 7 hours cleaning the car today (aching now) but after all my hard work I noticed the wheel nuts have begun to rust! :(

I plan on fixing this but not sure how far I need to go.

Would soaking them overnight in parrafin then giving them a good enough scrub to remove the rust be adequate, or would spraying them or applying something like hammerite be better?

Id like to keep them silver if possible. If I go down the painting / spraying route I will more than likely track the process and document it.

Also spotted a very small spot of rust on the door (talking about 1mm circle on the edge towards the front wing). Anything I can do with this to prevent it developing further?

I have this problem too. My nuts go all manky if I don't look after them. I have to get them out every now and then and rub them all over with an oil-based lube.

Back to topic, surely there are some non-corrodable wheel nuts on the market?

I had the same thing so I have just had a set of Anodised Ultralite nuts of Paul Whiffin. £60 delivered I think. I never thought I would pay a lot for nuts but it is worth it. Black, Red or Blue are available for these. I went for red incidently:)

And do honestly think ultralite nuts are made from the best and correct aluminium alloy....

At the end of the day steel is stronger than aluminium and thats what matters to me than trying to save a few grams

If they weren't up to the job and caused wheels to fall off i'd have thought they'd be sued out of existance.

The weight saving is good but for the op the best bit is they don't rust.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Aye not too fussed about weight - just dont want rust :) spoils all the hard work of cleaning and polishing to have a big nasty rusty bolt staring back at me.

Going to remove them and whack them in a tub of vinegar for a while.

Cheers all :thumbs: