The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My New Wheels - Which Tyres?

dani_r

Presume they are 18" ?

235.40.18 front and 265 or 275.35.18 would work well

Its possible you could need the rear arches trimming, but im sure others will confirm who have these

Sorry, yes they are 18s! I've adjusted the original post:d From the details on another thread, the concensus was that they wouldn't need rolling, but hopefully someone can confirm.

What's the difference between the 35 & 30 sidewall?

Tire sizes are expressed in the format WWW/AAXDD. WWW is the tire’s section width, measured in millimeters. AA is the aspect ratio or profile of the tire, which expresses the tire’s height as a percentage of its width. X is a letter indicating the tire’s internal construction. DD is the diameter in inches of the wheel that the tire is intended to be mounted on.

"AA is the aspect ratio or profile of the tire, which expresses the tire’s height as a percentage of its width"

...So basically a 30 sidewall will be a lesser % of the overall width of the tyre than the 35, therefore making it a "shorter" sidewall

So on a tyre that was 275 as was mentioned above;

30 profile = 82.5 sidewall

35 profile = 96.25 sidewall

Think that's correct, is pretty late so someone please correct me if i did that wrong >

Is that a more 'lower profile' look?

Basically yes :)

Edited by d-_-b (see edit history)

b;2686554']Tire sizes are expressed in the format WWW/AAXDD. WWW is the tire’s section width, measured in millimeters. AA is the aspect ratio or profile of the tire, which expresses the tire’s height as a percentage of its width. X is a letter indicating the tire’s internal construction. DD is the diameter in inches of the wheel that the tire is intended to be mounted on.

"AA is the aspect ratio or profile of the tire, which expresses the tire’s height as a percentage of its width"

...So basically a 30 sidewall will be a lesser % of the overall width of the tyre than the 35, therefore making it a "shorter" sidewall

So on a tyre that was 275 as was mentioned above;

30 profile = 82.5 sidewall

35 profile = 96.25 sidewall

Think that's correct, is pretty late so someone please correct me if i did that wrong >

Basically yes :)

Wow, very informative! Thanks :) It's certainly given me a lot to think about :D

These are the wheels I intend to treat myself to as soon as I get back home from the desert, albeit in black or gunmetal and 10" for the rear.

Good choice! They'll look great.

Oh and I'd go for a 35 sidewall, too, since that came up!

Well, the wheels arrived yesterday, and when I opened one of the boxes one of the rear wheels had paint damage to the rim in two places! :( I've emailed the guy and he's asked for pics but is claiming transit damage!

What do i do now?! :(

Were the boxes damaged ?

Afraid its the nightmare of buying things that get delivered by couriers.

Good luck on sorting it out.

Regards Tyres ive just fitted some Falken 452's to my 330 sport and im quite impressed for a top line budget tyre. Very sencibly priced as well.

Well, the wheels arrived yesterday, and when I opened one of the boxes one of the rear wheels had paint damage to the rim in two places! :( I've emailed the guy and he's asked for pics but is claiming transit damage!

What do i do now?! :(

Ouch. Gutted for you! Did you get insurance with the postage? That should sort it out if so. If not, uh, dunno...

• 1 month later...
I've been offered some almost brand new FK452s for the Supra. They're 245/35/18, would these be any good for the rear? Also, what tyre would i need for the front? 235/40/18 perhaps?

Cheers

I think 245 for the rear is a little skinny. I used to have those on the front.

265/275 seem to be the norm with others running 285s +