The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tt auto tiptronic

formatzero

Toying with buying a tt,have seen a couple which look quite nice however have a question or two.

1.What are stage three turbos.

2.Is the tiptronic auto reliable.

3.I have seen people on here asking for non vvti cars, why, are they not as good.

4.How should the price compare between tip/auto and manual car of the same year.

all advice appreciated :)

Toying with buying a tt,have seen a couple which look quite nice however have a question or two.

1.What are stage three turbos.

2.Is the tiptronic auto reliable.

3.I have seen people on here asking for non vvti cars, why, are they not as good.

4.How should the price compare between tip/auto and manual car of the same year.

all advice appreciated :)

1. Stage 3 is whatever the company building the turbos decides it to be. It varies from supplier to supplier. If you're thinking of hybrids, I'd advise against it.

2. Yes, up to certain power levels. It's effectively the same box as the auto and both are good for 400'ish BHP (to remain reliable). Other people run more power through theirs and have yet to break them, but they will eventually go. The difference between the auto and tip boxes are the connectors for the speed sensors. The standard auto has one. The tip has two.

3. Tuning a VVTI car is more difficult and expensive once you pass BPU. VVTI cams are pricey, you have DBW and idling to overcome.

4. With all things being equal, the manual will cost a little more as it is easier to upgrade to big power without changing the box, and is more desirable by people that have never owned the auto/tip.

In my opinion, the flexibility you get from the tip makes it better than the auto. I had a Tip/vvti and the VVTI was more expensive and painful to tune. The torque was good though. The tip was great, but I went single turbo and then had to rip out the auto box and shove in the 6-spd which was hugely expensive and technically painful with the wiring looms.

All in all, depends on what you want.

1. Stage 3 is whatever the company building the turbos decides it to be. It varies from supplier to supplier. If you're thinking of hybrids, I'd advise against it.

2. Yes, up to certain power levels. It's effectively the same box as the auto and both are good for 400'ish BHP (to remain reliable). Other people run more power through theirs and have yet to break them, but they will eventually go. The difference between the auto and tip boxes are the connectors for the speed sensors. The standard auto has one. The tip has two.

3. Tuning a VVTI car is more difficult and expensive once you pass BPU. VVTI cams are pricey, you have DBW and idling to overcome.

4. With all things being equal, the manual will cost a little more as it is easier to upgrade to big power without changing the box, and is more desirable by people that have never owned the auto/tip.

In my opinion, the flexibility you get from the tip makes it better than the auto. I had a Tip/vvti and the VVTI was more expensive and painful to tune. The torque was good though. The tip was great, but I went single turbo and then had to rip out the auto box and shove in the 6-spd which was hugely expensive and technically painful with the wiring looms.

All in all, depends on what you want.

Very informitive and helpfull, thanks

I cant take pics now because I am in Mexico and getting married but I have a few on photobucket and i have attached them below.

My car is a completely stock 98 R reg RZ-S TT Auto Tiptronic VVTi apart from the wheels and the OEM skirts and spats, spoilerless (but I have a TRD copy still packaged in my garage), 2 sets of wheels, 18in italian wheels that JIC used to put on many of their supras (I cant for the life of me remember the name of them now) and 19in wheelmania vortex r alloys. The car has full history including all the import documents when it was originally imported by JIC. Full leather, 38,000 miles.

As for price, I do not have a clue, I have not seen many Tiptronic supras for sale, I bought her for £11k about 2 and a half years ago, I guess around £8k but I dont know, maybe others can shed some light on the price of a car of this spec.

regards

Nick

I'm still toying with the idea of an auto when I've got the money. I think I will want to go single this time though - how much is a BL box and what do you lose (tip controls for example)? Is it cheaper than going 6spd? Do I need to go for high stalls and all that stuff that I don't understand?

Sorry for the thread hijack - might be useful to the OP as well though.

I'm still toying with the idea of an auto when I've got the money. I think I will want to go single this time though - how much is a BL box and what do you lose (tip controls for example)? Is it cheaper than going 6spd? Do I need to go for high stalls and all that stuff that I don't understand?

Sorry for the thread hijack - might be useful to the OP as well though.

Hi-stalls not required unless you want a strip style launch that you can do in a manual (iirc)

Some built auto boxes don't have overdrive, so 3 gears only so can be quite loud on motorways/A roads.

Can't help you with Tip. Still thinking 6-speed is the best route (being a single-auto owner myself).

Pics? details? how much?

just to verify, I can back up all that Nick says about his car and have a few pics that i sent him when he was looking to buy it. It was just down the road from me and I went to look at it for Nick and the then owner even took me out in it.

will try and post one up with the other wheels :)

I cant take pics now because I am in Mexico and getting married but I have a few on photobucket and i have attached them below.

My car is a completely stock 98 R reg RZ-S TT Auto Tiptronic VVTi apart from the wheels and the OEM skirts and spats, spoilerless (but I have a TRD copy still packaged in my garage), 2 sets of wheels, 18in italian wheels that JIC used to put on many of their supras (I cant for the life of me remember the name of them now) and 19in wheelmania vortex r alloys. The car has full history including all the import documents when it was originally imported by JIC. Full leather, 38,000 miles.

As for price, I do not have a clue, I have not seen many Tiptronic supras for sale, I bought her for £11k about 2 and a half years ago, I guess around £8k but I dont know, maybe others can shed some light on the price of a car of this spec.

regards

Nick

Looks a very nice car Nick, dont think your far away on price,was looking at a 98 tip with 60k (kilometers) at £8500 ono.I take it from the look of the picture yours is quicksilver.