The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some advice about alloys please

Guest MetalHead

Guest MetalHead

Hello,

I've had a look at a lot of the "Do these alloys fit" threads and I'm still confused. So I hope some one can help.

I'm looking to buy the Ultralite twin-5 alloys.

18x8 at the front and 18x9 at the rear.

But both the 8 and 9 come with an offset of either 35 or 38.

So which one should I go for?? and why?

My supra is a standard NA JDM.

Also, what size tyres do I need?

Thanks for your help.

Guest MetalHead
I'd personally buy a set of stock 17's and put good rubber on them in the correct sizes until you see wheels that are meant to be on a Supra and in the correct offsets.

And the correct offset is?

I believe it is best to get as close to standard offset as possible - which is 50 - so I'd say the 38 is the better one to go for.

Tyre-wise - probably 235 or 245 at the front and either 265 or 275 at the rear.

I don't think you will manage to get a 275 properly on a 18 x 9.

Hello,

I've had a look at a lot of the "Do these alloys fit" threads and I'm still confused. So I hope some one can help.

I'm looking to buy the Ultralite twin-5 alloys.

18x8 at the front and 18x9 at the rear.

But both the 8 and 9 come with an offset of either 35 or 38.

So which one should I go for?? and why?

My supra is a standard NA JDM.

Also, what size tyres do I need?

Thanks for your help.

You want to stay staggered fitment so:

8" front +35 and 9" rear +35 will be fine.

I run 9" front +35 and 10" rear +35

How do you guys work out the tyre sizes in regards to the wheel size.

Whats the formula?

See attached;

[ATTACH]106141[/ATTACH]

Just put in your details in the RED areas, you can play around and see which tyre size is best for your wheels. :)

;)

Guest MetalHead

Thanks for all the replies.

This is where it all gets a bit confusing.

Some say stick with offset 50 which is the standard offset which makes sense.

But others are saying offset of 35 is fine.

So it begs the question what difference does it make if I go for 50 or 35 or 38 for a set of alloys that will fit obviously?

I'm not trying to be funny but it's confusing. I don't want to buy a set of alloys and waste my money.

Can you buy 18 aftermarket alloys with an offset of 50??

arrrgh I think my heads going to exploded!!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

This is where it all gets a bit confusing.

Some say stick with offset 50 which is the standard offset which makes sense.

But others are saying offset of 35 is fine.

So it begs the question what difference does it make if I go for 50 or 35 or 38 for a set of alloys that will fit obviously?

I'm not trying to be funny but it's confusing. I don't want to buy a set of alloys and waste my money.

Can you buy 18 aftermarket alloys with an offset of 50??

arrrgh I think my heads going to exploded!!!!

Stock offset is lame, not right for after market wheels imo, if you want stock offset go with stock wheels.

I think the stock offset of 50 means the wheels sit further under the arches.

An offset of 38 or 35 are closer to the arches so will give you a wider looking stance but go too far and they might rub.

If you use the link I posted earlier it will give you a good idea of what will fit on the wheels or under the arches. It also gives you an option to roll the arches to give more room.

I've posted this link loads of times, but it's so damn helpful, I'll post it again.

This is an offset wheel calculator with a graphical representation of difference. You put the stock measurements in the top, then your new wheels measurements in the next one

http://www.morfed.net/wheel-offset-calculator/

You'll be able to see what the difference will be, as Jamie says, stock offsets are pretty tame, and makes the wheel appear to be set right back into the arch. Use the above calculator to see the difference.

Also bear in mind that width has an effect on offset. The stock rear is -50 with a width of 9.5, Obviously a 10 inch wide wheel with the same offset will not sit in the same place. Don't go buying 12 inch wide wheels with a similar offset and expect them to fit.

Also, just so you know, the wheels you're looking at will not accomodate UK spec brakes, I know you said your car is a JDM, but so is mine, and I have the larger brakes ;)

Edit, as pistonbroke says.

Its not as simple as just offset, wheel width plays a part, a 12" rear wheel running stock offset will obviously stick out a lot further, also to consider is spoke design if you are running uk or any large brakes.

The offset you are looking at will work just fine but i cant confirm if they will clear your brakes, the dealer should be able to tell you.

I don't think you will manage to get a 275 properly on a 18 x 9.

That shouldn't be a problem as the 275 tyre is the max for a 9-inch wheel. Just make sure you get a company who has top quality tyre fitting equipment or else it can soon turn into an abortion:rolleyes:

The other consideration for using a 275 is that you will get a slight rubber displacement over the wheel lip, therefore extending the wheel & tyre combo by anywhere up to 6-10mm depending on tyre brand.

I think Jamie's recommendation of an 8" front with +35 offset and a 9" rear with a +35 will fit like a glove. You can then fit a 255 to the rear to ensure the tyre fits snug under the arch.

Edited by SupraAyf (see edit history)