The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre question

Stonkin

Hi guys,

I need to order 2 new rear tyres ready for an mot next week (finally getting the car back out for summer :) )

Currently the rear has 265.35.18's fitted. At some point during the summer i'll be buying a set of new wheels that will most likely be 9" front 10" rear and for those rears i wanted to fit either 275.35.18 or 285.35.18

So, i dont especially want to buy 265's now. I know this is a slightly lazy question as i should really look how wide my current wheels are, but i'd really like to order these new tyres online today from camskill so i can get them fitted at the w'end and give the car a good check over before mot.. Could i buy 275.35.18 (eagle asymetric) and fit them to my current wheels with the thought that i could transfer them to the new wheels when i buy them?

Ive put a pic of the current rear wheel, would you say 275's will be ok to fit?

Thats the thing, i dont know if my current wheel is a 10" Its just if i'm buying new tyres i'd rather buy the ones that i want for the new alloys, but only if i can get away with running them on this rear set for a few months. Personally i think it will fit this wheel fine, but just wanted to check

and i know, i'm being very lazy, but i'm not with the car and really want to order today

I've literally just upgraded to 275 from 265 at the rear on mine.

FWIW I'd steer clear of F1 asymetric, they're a step backwards in terms of performance on the Supra. IMO the best tyres are ones with a V pattern, like the old F1 GDS3 or the Toyo T1-R.

cheers Gaz, i had the gsd3 on my weds on the old car and loved them. but every review i have read say these new asymetric is even better and a better designed tyre for all driving conditions. I wanted to stay clear of the toyo as i felt they wouldnt last to long with being quite soft?

Thats the thing, i dont know if my current wheel is a 10" Its just if i'm buying new tyres i'd rather buy the ones that i want for the new alloys, but only if i can get away with running them on this rear set for a few months. Personally i think it will fit this wheel fine, but just wanted to check

and i know, i'm being very lazy, but i'm not with the car and really want to order today

Stop beeing lazy, measure today and order tomorrow :)

cheers Gaz, i had the gsd3 on my weds on the old car and loved them. but every review i have read say these new asymetric is even better and a better designed tyre for all driving conditions. I wanted to stay clear of the toyo as i felt they wouldnt last to long with being quite soft?

Well I went from R888 to T1-R, so even if they're soft, they won't be compared to the old ones!

Even the tyre place who fitted my tyres said the asymetric design isn't as effective on performance cars. The Toyo was the best rubber I could find for my car within a reasonable budget. I can't comment on wear yet but I've spun up the tyres quite a few times and they still look brand new after a bit of drifty action.

Lateral grip is good and the car feels planted, with a noticeable reduction in road noise. Again, no wet weather driving either so I can't report on that but bearing in mind I've got a single, I was impressed with how they performed compared to the R888.

Its good to hear someone else echo's my thoughts about asymmetrical tyre patterns. I was going to go for a full set of F1s, but once I saw the pattern I opted for the T1-Rs (this is on the clio, so 195 fitment, tiny!!), and I've been really impressed, in the dry they're bang on.

I'd steer clear of anything that isn't a V shape, I've heard some good things about Kumho (although not that specific tyre), if you can't get the Toyos.

right, i have found a set of gsd3's which is what i had on my weds previously and loved them. From top gear tyres just down the road in reading for £180 and they can fit tomorrow. They cant supply 235's which i will want in a few weeks after the mot but they have got 28 in 245's, again, what i had previously.

so think i'm sorted :)

right, i have found a set of gsd3's which is what i had on my weds previously and loved them. From top gear tyres just down the road in reading for £180 and they can fit tomorrow.

DAMN YOU!!!!! I looked for ages for those. I'm only in Basingstoke, too. :D

right, i have found a set of gsd3's which is what i had on my weds previously and loved them. From top gear tyres just down the road in reading for £180 and they can fit tomorrow. They cant supply 235's which i will want in a few weeks after the mot but they have got 28 in 245's, again, what i had previously.

so think i'm sorted :)

do you have the details of top gear tyres?

Can they do mail order?