The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK alarm problem...

Seb

... it's no longer in the car. When I bought the car, the then owner told me that the rubber covered black box behind the passenger headlight was a now disconnected immobiliser system. I took his word for it, and recently got a garage to remove the box. I now realise that this may well have been my actual alarm... The thing is, my insurance company does not acknowledge this alarm as being worth anything, and required me to fit a Cat 2 immobiliser before they would cover me. Does my lack of alarm cause a problem?

Seb

Ooo, that's a difficult one. You're insurance company would have the car listed as having a cat 1 as standard.

To be safe, get them to put in writing that they know the cat 1 has been removed and they are happy with a cat 2 replacement.

Don't trust someone on the end of the phone.

Mine wasn't Thatcham approved, as it was a very early car; if it had been a Jan 94 car, then it would have been Cat 1 approved, as it was, they said it was too early a model to gain approval. I guess I could get a decent Cat 1 alarm fitted.

Seb

I think they were classed as Cat 1s after early 1994, like I said, mine was too early a model to be given cat 1 approval. I checked with Tesco, and yes, only my Cat 2 immobiliser was declared as the security on my car, so the removal or my alarm means nothing at all to them.

How much can I get a Cat 1 for?

Seb

I recently had some alarm problems and I think the box you are reffering to is indeed the alarm unit. I had a good mess around with mine to try and get it to work properly after a dead battery caused it to go faulty. (I left it too long over winter time without plugging in the re-charger).

I would also go with the peace of mind of a CAT 1 alarm&immobiliser system. Numerous companies are supplying and fitting them for around the £250 area, which is not too bad.

I told my insurance company about the change of alarm and they were happy with it, as it was a CAT 1 system, and probably as it is better than the stock system.