The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash Panel Refurbing

Geo

So iv got some spare dash panels kicking around that id like to try some refurbing on, and if it turns out good i'll do the dash panels in the car if all goes well??

Now my problem is iv never done it before. So i know it has to be rubbed down, primmed and painted, but what products, and gadgets do i need to do this?? And where do i find them??

cheers

I took the plunge and went and did this when I first got the car as well as douing it recently for the 6 speed gear surround after my conversion.

Seemed to have perfected my method as it was a lot quicker and easier the 2nd time round!

1. Remove all rubber coating from panels

Best way I found was to use a scouring pad (not brillo but the pads with much coarser strands) and hot soapy water. Rubber came clean off. Make sure it is all gone as any remaining will clog up wet and dry paper in next step. For any difficult areas I found acetone/nail varnish remover softened the rubber further.

Note: Gloves may save your fingers here!
  2. Rub down the plastic to a smooth keyed surface

I worked from a fairly coarse grit wet and dry paper (120/200 Rub down to get rid of all the little scratches you might have created in step one) then I used progressively less coarse grit wet and dry such as 600 and 1200 grit for the smoothest.
  3. Priming and Spraying

Depending on what paint you will use you may need to prime the surface first. I used 5 wheels silver alloy wheel paint which did not require a primer. Just rub the primer down with 1200 grit once dry and before spraying.

All in all I think you'll be needing

• scouring pads
  • washing up liquid and possibly acetone
  • your choice of paint, primer and laquer.
  • patience, blood & sweat!

Hope this helps!

As above really mate. With regard to the primer, halfrauds do plastic primer which adheres to the surface better than normal car spray primer. This means that it hopefully won't crack and flake off months later when you drop your keys/ipod/cd case on the surface. I've just done mine but I'm waiting for new chrome rings from the tuning shop (ebay) before I update with pics......it looks a million times better already though :D

it's not the end of the world if it does end up like crap.

JP is having his dash flocked for £60!, I'd do that if you're not happy with the results you get from your efforts.

well iv got 2 oval dash parts and ignition surround to test on before i even attempt the cars dash. :D

I did look at flocking ages ago, but the matt black effect i do like alot. :D