The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wide Wheels and Agressive Offsets

dandan

I thought I'd post up a thread to see who is running what has been nicknamed "aggressive offsets" on their cars - especially on the rear. CW would probably come up with a different nickname but we'll have to leave that for now or move the thread to NWS :D

My particular setup somewhat fits this description which is good for looks but bad for arch rubbing with soft suspension. I am about to remove my Tein HA coilovers and fit a set of CW's Bilstein suspension which has much softer springs than the Tein HA. It looks like I am going to have arch rubbing issues at the rear as the tyre cannot pass the edge of the rear arch....right now the high spring rates are preventing contact. I removed the rear strut last night and lowered the car to try to get an idea of clearance - I think I need to gain about 15mm of space per side but I may be over exagerating here as it is hard to tell.

I haven't checked the front yet as the front strut is a PITA to remove compared to the rear. I'm interested to know if anyone runs a similar setup to me and if arch rolling (or what degree of trimming) gained you enough room for full suspenion travel....

Rear Setup

• 18 x 9.5 Rota GTR wheels
  • 30mm offset
  • 275 35 18 Eagle F1 tyre

Front Setup

• 18 x 8.5 Rota GTR wheels
  • 35mm offset
  • 245 40 18 Eagle F1 tyre

So is anyone here running anything like the following at the rear:

• 9.5" wide and up to a 30mm offset
  • 10" wide and up to a 36mm offset
  • 10.5" wide and up to a 43mm offset
  • 10.75" wide and up to a 46mm offset
  • 11" wide and up to a 49mm offset

I know Jamie and Jay have rear wheels that fit somwhere in this combo and I thnk they run something wider than 275 but I don't know of anyone else :search:

Feel free to do a quote from my dimensions above and change the values if you want - it could make everything quite easy to read and useful for others as a future reference.

Cheers

Dan

Supraa.JPG

CIMG3700a.JPG

CIMG3702a.JPG

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good thread :D

I will get some pics up asap but my set up is:

* Front - 18x8.5j - 35 offset PLUS 15mm hubcentric spacers

* Rear - 18x9.5j - 35 offset PLUS 25mm hubcentric spacers :cool:

My tyres are a "stretched fit" though!!!

I'm loving the look of your car fella ...

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

Rear Setup

• 18 x 9.5 Rota GTR wheels
  • 30mm offset
  • 275 35 18 Eagle F1 tyre

Front Setup

• 18 x 8.5 Rota GTR wheels
  • 35mm offset
  • 245 40 18 Eagle F1 tyre

(is this what u meant by copy and pasting??!?!)

Rear Setup

• 18 x 9.5 Manary V Sport wheels
  • 35mm offset
  • 265 35 18 Falken 452

Front Setup

• 18 x 8.5 Manary V Sport wheels
  • 35mm offset
  • 225 40 18 Falken 452

I'm loving the look of your car fella ...

Nice one - thanks. Stick a picture up of yours so we can see these crazy offsets :D

...is this what u meant by copy and pasting??!?!

Sure is. I've added your spacer figures into the offsets to try to keep things simple. Are your arches rolled or are you running super stiff suspension? Your setup looks way worse than mine (in terms or arch rubbing) even allowing for the narrower tyres.

Rear Setup

• 18 x 9.5 Manary V Sport wheels
  • 10mm offset
  • 265 35 18 Falken 452

Front Setup

• 18 x 8.5 Manary V Sport wheels
  • 20mm offset
  • 225 40 18 Falken 452

I know we have a spreadsheet for doing these comparisons (and someone is bound to post up and say that) but I think it would be nice to see some real life numbers and see what people are running without issues. That should also make for an easy comparison for other people looking at buying wheels and what to do about offset choice if they're not sticking with the norm.

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Nice one - thanks. Stick a picture up of yours so we can see these crazy offsets :D

Are your arches rolled or are you running super stiff suspension? Your setup looks way worse than mine (in terms or arch rubbing) even allowing for the narrower tyres.

Got Eibach springs and Bilstein suspension - yeah quite hard but not coilover rock solid.

Got the rear arches rolled by Baldy, only get minor rubbing on big bumps in the road....

...will get pics up asap :D

With my suspension you MUST remove the springs on one front and one rear stock damper unit and see that nothing rubs with each wheel jacked up hard against the bump stops on each damper shaft. You also need to see the front tyres clear with a reasonable amount of lock either direction in this preloaded state. If something rubs it's the fault of tyre width and / or wheel offset, and I don't even want to know about it after my kit is on :) I explained this in some depth to another member once, who was buying my kit, with wrong offset and width wheels, and within a week I was getting calls to say the tyres were rubbing. It's a WHEEL or TYRE issue, not suspension. You MUST be able to achieve bump stop compression front and rear without fouling. This applies to ANY car.

Rear Setup

* 19 x 10 Rota GTLM wheels

* 44mm offset

* 275 30 19 Falken fk452

Front Setup

* 19 x 9 Rota GTLM wheels

* 40mm offset

* 235 35 19 Flaken fk452

No need for arch rolling, lowered on HSD coilovers, no rubbing at all.....perfect fit. :)

Edit, I know it's not aggressive by any standards, but I thought I'd post for reference so people can see that near stock offsets don't have to look pants. :cool:

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)

Mine were fairly agressive with the 25mm spacers.

Rear Setup

19 x 10 Jade R

-5mm offset

265 30 19 Falken 452 Tyres

Front Setup

19 x 8.5 Jade R

+35mm offset

235 30 19 Falken 452 Tyres

http://www.scotster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Supra/General/DSCF1925%20Done.jpg

Was a bit too much for me though so I cut it back to 10's.

Rear Setup

19 x 10 Jade R

+10mm offset

265 30 19 Falken 452 Tyres

Front Setup

19 x 8.5 Jade R

+35mm offset

235 30 19 Falken 452 Tyres

http://www.scotster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Supra/General/DSCF2018.JPG

Got Eibach springs and Bilstein suspension - yeah quite hard but not coilover rock solid.

Got the rear arches rolled by Baldy, only get minor rubbing on big bumps in the road....

...will get pics up asap :D

when i rolled these,i did just enough to clear the 15mm spacers that were being used at the time.they could be rolled more but then there would be some paintwork required.

With my suspension you MUST remove the springs on one front and one rear stock damper unit and see that nothing rubs with each wheel jacked up hard against the bump stops on each damper shaft. You also need to see the front tyres clear with a reasonable amount of lock either direction in this preloaded state. If something rubs it's the fault of tyre width and / or wheel offset, and I don't even want to know about it after my kit is on :) I explained this in some depth to another member once, who was buying my kit, with wrong offset and width wheels, and within a week I was getting calls to say the tyres were rubbing. It's a WHEEL or TYRE issue, not suspension. You MUST be able to achieve bump stop compression front and rear without fouling. This applies to ANY car.

:salute:

I have no problem with doing this at all Chris and have already started the ball rolling. I know my rear arches need to be modified to achieve this (Simon/Baldy is almost certainly going to do that for me). I don't know about the fronts as I haven't checked yet. If the parts turn up in time then I will be replacing my front top arms this weekend and at that point I will be checking the tyre clearance with the spare damper you sent me.

Worst case is that I'll be fitting my 17" wheels until the bodywork is sorted or I sell the 18" wheels and buy something more sensible. :)

I am afraid to ask, but... I won on eBay Weds SA70 BLC 18' 9J front and 10J rear... and just after a while I realized they were with the wrong offset... +20 front, +18 rear... and I saw a thread on here that they were supposed to be +32 to fit on a Supra... so my question is, do I still have a chance to fit those without any intervention, or I am totally screwed?!

I am afraid to ask, but... I won on eBay Weds SA70 BLC 18' 9J front and 10J rear... and just after a while I realized they were with the wrong offset... +20 front, +18 rear... and I saw a thread on here that they were supposed to be +32 to fit on a Supra... so my question is, do I still have a chance to fit those without any intervention, or I am totally screwed?!

They should fit with a bit of arch rolling.

Same wheels as me - what sort of suspension are you running?