The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank pulley failed the tip-ex test

bigbloodyturbo

I've been hearing squeeking on startup for the past couple of weeks but put it down to a tensioner so decided to leave it untill after my MOT. Its got worse so I just did the tip-ex test and the two marks have moved apart by about 3/4" after just 10 seconds of idle with a few revs:(

Question is what now? I've seen unorthodox racing pulleys and boostlogic pulleys but I dont know which is best or if they're any better than stock. Has anyone got any experience with these things failing and what did you replace them with?

Doesn't stock have a dampening affect where some aftermarket pulleys don't? Some sell saying lighter weight, less momentum etc etc.

That and lead time to source a non-OEM one. Buy stock unless you're really wanting to try and wring every last bit of performance out.

My crank pulley failed at 4000 RPM... and somehow the belt stayed on and nothing broke, couldn't even find the outer ring after walking back down the road scouting for it. Didn't drive it home as the belt of course was slack and I rather like things like good oil pressure and the water pump working fine :) Low loader to garage, garage fitted new pulley for me whilst getting oil pump done and all was sweet once again in less than 48 hours :)

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

I think I might visit MrT through the week then, I thought if I was replacing it I might aswell replace it with something better but after reading a few US articles on these underdrive efforts removing harmonic dampening I think I'll stay with stock. Don't suppose you can remember the price off the top of your heads? This is going to be an expensive month, mot, tax and crank pulley all within 10 days of each other:rolleyes:

I think I might visit MrT through the week then, I thought if I was replacing it I might aswell replace it with something better but after reading a few US articles on these underdrive efforts removing harmonic dampening I think I'll stay with stock. Don't suppose you can remember the price off the top of your heads? This is going to be an expensive month, mot, tax and crank pulley all within 10 days of each other:rolleyes:

IIRC approx £210. I'll try and dig out my receipt.

Edit : Damn close :) £211.12 Back in June 2008

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

Thanks for the prices, £200 isn't too bad I suppose, I'll pester my local parts manager for a bit of discount! It'll be fitting it that'll be a pain in the ar5e. It'll have to go through its mot with the old one in as I just don't have time to replace it, hope it holds.

Dude, Smarty just said Whifbitz do them for £165, why go to Mr T and pay £211?

Yeah I only just seen that there now suprahuman:)

That is a good price, my pulse is beginning to come down to normal now, when I seen the tip-ex marks I had visions of quotes from MrT of 5-600quid.

Yeah I only just seen that there now suprahuman:)

That is a good price, my pulse is beginning to come down to normal now, when I seen the tip-ex marks I had visions of quotes from MrT of 5-600quid.

Yep sorry my bad of putting up a higher price there, didn't think of Mr Whiffin when I got mine. Then again I was rushed and bought it same day from Mr T as local place had it in stock.

Good luck with the fitting :)

I don't mean to sound like your dad :D but you could still be looking at that sort of bill if it goes at high rpm and causes collateral damage, i'm not saying don't drive it i'm just saying make it your top priority, or get a cheap secondhand one and tippex that one up too so you can monitor it going forward...

I don't mean to sound like your dad :D but you could still be looking at that sort of bill if it goes at high rpm and causes collateral damage, i'm not saying don't drive it i'm just saying make it your top priority, or get a cheap secondhand one and tippex that one up too so you can monitor it going forward...

The car only gets driven at weekends at the minute as I get a lift to work everyday and as its winter once I get home from work I don't really want to go anywhere except the pub:). So it can lay up for a while, although I will need to drive it now and again but not any great distance.

Dont want to scare monger, but dont drive it, if it lets go you will have a very heavy metal ring flying around the engine bay at high speed.

If your lucky it will do little damage, but if your unlucky, even at low speed, it could take out water pump, altenator, power steering, air con, radiator system and even punch a hole in the bonnet.

All thing members here have had happen, you have been lucky, by finding it before it came off, please dont push your luck for the sake of it, it could cost a lot of money.

Hey, relax guy. When I bought my Aristo it had a serpentine belt squeal. Only after Id driven it from Portsmouth to Lincoln did I realise the crank pulley was in 2 seperate pieces, and had been for some time!! Only the belt tension was holding it in place lol

Its a service item and like suspension bushes will need to be replaced after fifteen+ years of motoring :)

you just paint on a 'radius' line on the front section, where if you look closely you'll see the 1-2mm of rubber that bonds the grooved outer ring to the rest of the pulley, if the line is no longer a line at some point then you know the ring has moved/is toast :)

you just paint on a 'radius' line on the front section, where if you look closely you'll see the 1-2mm of rubber that bonds the grooved outer ring to the rest of the pulley, if the line is no longer a line at some point then you know the ring has moved/is toast :)

Sorry to be a complete ass/dumbo .. could you explain that more thourougly :)

Im not to smart when it comes to things like this, iv replaced my belt 2 weeks ago and theres a little squeeking on start up.

reading this thread has turned my attention to it possibly being the pulley on its way out.:(

Sorry to be a complete ass/dumbo .. could you explain that more thourougly :)

Im not to smart when it comes to things like this, iv replaced my belt 2 weeks ago and theres a little squeeking on start up.

:( reading this thread has turned my attention to it possibly being the pulley on its way out.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=1321684&highlight=tipex#post1321684

I always run a Boostlogic pulley, full damping and never break, besided you would not be allowed to run at a sanctioned drag race meeting with a stock pulley as they are considered too dangerous!!

Shame they no longer make them :(