The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbo rebuild???????????

Baz018

• 12 years later...

Hi i have recently purchased my Supra with some BPU's. Its Jap Import. It currently goes up to 1.0 Bar and cuts off as there is no FCD fitted (yet).

In my case i would like to run more boost (up 1.4 bar). The turbos does not show any signs of wearing out or leaks.

Do you think it is a good idea to rebuild stock jap spec turbos to a UK spec (replace ceramic blades with metal ones)? If so - who will be the best in the market to perform the task properly and professionally?

Or is it better to simply look for a single turbo instead?

Thanks!

On 3/12/2022 at 10:49 AM, Bender said:

I rebuild mine at Midland Turbo (Inc metal inserts) and can recommended them

Hi, can you share the costs involved? And what exactly was done and what was replaced?

How long (mileage) do you use them in your car since the rebuild?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, fullrespect said:

Hi, can you share the costs involved? And what exactly was done and what was replaced?

How long (mileage) do you use them in your car since the rebuild?

Thanks!

Sure it cost me £650 for both of them plus they do service on them change seals bearings remove carbon etc plus steel inserts another £200 for set of used twins as one of mine blown so badly that they couldnt refurb. I change them last year november or December and they still working fine and i use my supra daily i guess i done around 1000km

• Like 1

Thanks @Bender

I would go and do the same with mine, but i just cant trust enough the companies who rebuild them, its very hard for me as i read many bad things after some rebuilds done in the UK in general.

I think i need to grab a phone and ring all the firms known for refurbing the Supra turbos and then will make my mind up.

By the way - is it a hard job to remove the twins by self?

3 hours ago, fullrespect said:

Thanks @Bender

I would go and do the same with mine, but i just cant trust enough the companies who rebuild them, its very hard for me as i read many bad things after some rebuilds done in the UK in general.

I think i need to grab a phone and ring all the firms known for refurbing the Supra turbos and then will make my mind up.

Midlands Turbo was recomended by some guys on the forum so thats why i choose them (BTW you need to ask for Liam) and tbf very happy with service they provide. 

About removing twins its duable job on your driveway just need few tools lots of patience and a bit of time i think there was some "how to" on internet i got a bit easier as i used my brother in law who help me a lot

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 5:50 PM, fullrespect said:

Thanks @Bender

I haven't removed stock twins myself but I have this how-to saved for when I do: https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/toyota/generations/supra-a80/diys/stock-twin-turbo-removal-by-94canuck. Bear in mind it may not be 100% applicable to a jspec car as they're working on a US car but from the looks of it much is the same, so use of this guide with the turbocharger Toyota service manual should make it pretty straightforward!

• Like 1