The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guys who track their Supras, Rotors?

uestlove

Hey guys,

I track my supra often, and the standard 4/2 pot are awesome, mated with the Hawk HT-10 pads, but unfortunatley they are harsh on rotors. My OEM rotors lasted about 2 track days, then had hairline cracks in them. I then upgraded them to RG slotted rotors front and rear, and on the first event, cracked a front rotor....second event the rear rotor cracked...i mean big cracks beyond use!

What are you guys using for Disc Rotors? Im thinking to try a 2 piece rotor like DBA5000, or Endless...

I'm using DBA 4000 discs (wiper slot) with Carbotech XP8 pads.

Found this to be the best combination that I have tried so far on the Supra.

Discs--> http://www.dba.com.au/

Pads--> http://www.carbotech-europe.com/compounds.htm

The XP10 pads would be more suitable if I did more track days, but they obviously compromise on warming time for road use and more designed for cars with semi-slicks and not road tyres.

Awesome Wez. So that is OEM rotors modified to be 2 piece? I enquired about Performance Friction Rotors, but they didnt have anything for Supra. Can you enlighten me with more info of your setup?

I run semi slicks and use the hawk on the track but i switch over to trd blakcs for the street.

Awesome Wez. So that is OEM rotors modified to be 2 piece? I enquired about Performance Friction Rotors, but they didnt have anything for Supra. Can you enlighten me with more info of your setup?

I run semi slicks and use the hawk on the track but i switch over to trd blakcs for the street.

Not modified stocks, they are a custom floating setup from a trader on here, Chris Wilson ;)

I use these along with PF pads, seems to do the trick :thumbs:

• 2 months later...
I'm using DBA 4000 discs (wiper slot) with Carbotech XP8 pads.

Found this to be the best combination that I have tried so far on the Supra.

Discs--> http://www.dba.com.au/

Pads--> http://www.carbotech-europe.com/compounds.htm

The XP10 pads would be more suitable if I did more track days, but they obviously compromise on warming time for road use and more designed for cars with semi-slicks and not road tyres.

AJI - How do you find the disc wear with the XP8 pads?

Do a google search for 'Hawk HT-10 brake pad cracks' you'll find a few threads. They need and generate a lot of heat to be effective.

I'd personally stick with stock discs, they're cheap enough to consider disposable, and try a different pad compound. Unless you've got the money to spend on a proper setup like Wez :)

Do a google search for 'Hawk HT-10 brake pad cracks' you'll find a few threads. They need and generate a lot of heat to be effective.

I'd personally stick with stock discs, they're cheap enough to consider disposable, and try a different pad compound. Unless you've got the money to spend on a proper setup like Wez :)

I'm trying to narrow down pad choice for my custom Alcon setup - 6pot monoblock up front and 4pot monoblock at the rear. No chance of using stock discs or UK shaped pads in this instance.

Unfortunately PFC only supply their race 01 compound for those calipers so it looks like they are out of the running as that may be a little too severe for me. Carbotech have said they will make a custom set of pads in the XP8 compound for ~£450 so I'm trying to get a bit of general feedback on that compound before I jump :)

I'll do a bit of reading on Hawk pads, thanks - I see them mentioned on SF a fair bit....

Will watch this thread with interest. Race pads with OEM discs will stop the car, but chew through the discs in no time and generate some pretty nasty brake dust for the wheels and bodywork.

Am after some track pads for the rear so open to sugestions btw. Currently run PF97 in the fronts.

AJI - How do you find the disc wear with the XP8 pads?

So far so good.

They do bite hard and give confidence in braking.

But I can not say that they have worn the discs any faster than any other pads I've tried.

(I guess this will more depend on how hard and how often you brake on the road/track - but bear in mind that I am not using standard toyota discs).

The only negative point that I can say is that they are a little dusty........ I'd say this is has a large factor of the discs that I have and the grooves on them.

Edited by AJI (see edit history)

I use mine mostly on the road, but also each year to the Nurbrugring.

I have also done the odd track day in the UK with the Supra too, but its the Nurburgring where you can really see what works and what doesn't.

On a hot summer day going down towards Bergwerk corner, it is a real tester on the brakes.

I did have CW brake pads fitted previously, and no dis-respect, they were good pads but they never gave that initial bite that lets you know you've got good brakes.

After changing to the Carbotech XP8 pads they warm up very quickly and give that 'confidence' bite when you realy need it on the road/track. I also find they bite harder than previous pads I've tried.

(But would reccommend uprating the standard toyota discs because of the extra heat they will generate on track use).

The XP8s should be fine for the odd track day.....but if you see yourself doing a good few laps throughout the year then the XP10s should be your choice.

These require a little more heat to get them biting hard but they are designed more for the track.

Or if your Supra is going to be a track weapon doing many laps in one session then go for the XP12s.

The Carbotech guy, if you ring him, will explain the pad compound in more detail.

As for noise....as long as you put plenty of copper greese onto the rear of the pads when fitting them there is no noticable increase in noise on my Supra at least.

Actually I tell a lie, sometimes at very low speed with the brake pedal slightly pressed there can be a high pitched squeek, but its not a loud noise at all.