The mkiv Supra Owners Club

43 in a 30 !

Patrick_Devlin

Got a Notice of intended Prosecution from the friendly folks at the Fixed Penalty Support Unit the other day. Cant recall where and when though, even though it states time place etc...

Whats the best way to tackle this?

I want to get the photos, but it doesnt say how you go about requesting them...

Also, what would you say the most likely penalty is for this, 3 points and £60?

Bloody Nazis! :mad:

I got caught for 43 in a 30 last year (zone had been reduced from a 40 and signs were hidden, I'm usually a good boy!) - I got stopped by the chappy and ended up with 3 points and £60 - I suspect you'll get the same.

A friend got done for 36 in a 30 this week, same £60 and 3 points.

Anything over 49mph in a 30 and its court (6 points) but below that it will be a fixed penalty 3 points and £60 fine. i would try and get out of it though, look around the net there is lots of info and escape routes. i personally have got out of two now just for the police not following there correct proceedures :)

if u cant remember m8.

ask for the photos, dont be a pain when u speak to them just say u honestly dont remember who was using the car that day. If its a rear snap :) ur in buisness(provided u arent the only user of the car)

if its forward facing u need to check the pic.

if its obviously u m8, dont go to court as there they can stick u with 6 points instead of 3.

plus court costs

I did 47 in a 30 zone a couple of years ago, 3 points and a 60 quid fine so you'll just get that mate.

If you rear the back it states you have no right to get the pics as i was going to get these for my last 3 points, when you get the letter it tells you everything on the back, ba$tards!!!!!

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Laing

I did 47 in a 30 zone a couple of years ago, 3 points and a 60 quid fine so you'll just get that mate.

If you rear the back it states you have no right to get the pics as i was going to get these for my last 3 points, when you get the letter it tells you everything on the back, ba$tards!!!!!

Paul

I am not sure that is true Paul. If you (as was the case with Mr and Mrs Hamilton) cannot confirm who was driving the vehicle, then the only way of ascertaining the fact would be by photographic evidence.

If the Police cannot provide such evidence, how can you then sign a declaration that states who the driver was?

AIUI, you don't have the right to see the photo until they're presented in court. So, you'd have to plead Not Guilty and go to court and then you would see the photos there.

Daft isn't it?

Some police forces will cooperate and let you see the pics prior to a court appearance but they are not obliged to.

Originally posted by Jake

AIUI, you don't have the right to see the photo until they're presented in court. So, you'd have to plead Not Guilty and go to court and then you would see the photos there.

Daft isn't it?

Some police forces will cooperate and let you see the pics prior to a court appearance but they are not obliged to.

I live and learn and stand corrected. :)

My mate did summat similar he sent them a really nice letter stating that it was a shared car btween himself and his wife and that on that particular date he was in the country (he's in the RAF and is away alot) and so it could have been either of them. He was nothing but obliging and they dropped it as they knew that the person couldn't be identified from the photo. Sometimes being nice is a better way.

• 1 month later...

Got a reply back for my request to see the photos... well, they didnt say "no you cant see the photos", they just said "fill in the form".

Gits.

I think I'll just write back to them and say that either one of us could have been driving the car that day...

Do I have to return an unsigned form also with the letter that I'm gonna write?

Patrick

I got a NIP for 95 in a 60, I filled in the form and said I was driving.

The next letter I received was my court summons and a photo showing the offence. it was from the back of the car so I could not be identified, but I had already filled the form in

You have two options, speak to a experienced brief and see about getting out of it (my brief said I shouldn't have filled the initial form in and just given it to him and he would have sorted it)

Option Two, avoid the hassle and pay the 60 notes

If you go to court it totally out of your hands what you get, I got bent over as soon as they saw a picture of a sports car, and a young lad in front of them

Just my 2p

Hmmm makes me wonder if I will get one as well....

I was travelling down the A3 a couple of days ago, racing a scooby and spotted a poilce van on a bridge, no police on the road or anything......we both slowed down....

Road Angel didnt go off, so no laser was detected.

Could have been SPECS though!! :eek:

Any ideas guys :confused:

Originally posted by SUPRACHRIS

I got done doing 54 in a 30 which got me 6 and 180 quid fine :mad: , but i called up before and they sent me the photo no probs at all, and what a decent picture as well, no getting out of that :zzz:

D'Oh!!!

Oxy, not sure if they have mobile spec or not! They might have just been stuffing their faces with doughnuts!

Dude did you receive the original letter more than 16 days after the speeding "offence",if its more than 16 days then the NIP is not valid.I would suggest a letter like this :

Dear Officer ******,

CVVVVVVVV - Notice of Intended Prosecution

I received your letter dated *********, the references for which are detailed above. I have enclosed a copy of the Notice sent to me recently, for ease of cross-reference.

You have written to me because I am the Registered Keeper of the vehicle mentioned in your Notice. My address is correct as per the details at DVLC, and the vehicle was not a Company car, and was neither hired nor borrowed.

No Officer spoke to me at the time of the alleged offence, and no accident took place. Also, no Police person has spoken with me at or near the time and place detailed in your Notice. The written Notice is the first indication from you of any intention to prosecute.

Your Notice details the alleged offence as VV:VVhrs on *********. The Notice is dated ********, and it came to me by post, received on ********. At the time of opening the mail item from you, I signed and dated the Notice in a space at the top of the page.

Including the day of the alleged offence, this was **th day from the date detailed in your Notice.

Following discussions with my solicitor, please note that the Notice cannot be acted upon as it is time-expired. For this Notice to have been valid, it ought to have been with me within 14 days of the alleged offence.

It was suggested I write back to you immediately with these comments.

Yours sincerely

Patrick Devlin

Registered Keeper

Nah... unfortunately the original notice was within the period. I wrote to them asking for the photos, but they've just written back and said get on with filling the form in.

I've got an appointment with a solicitor next monday, so I might be able to get them to fill the form in for me, and return it unsigned along with a letter stating that I cannot remember who was driving at the time, it could have been me or Susie!

Hopefully, unless the photos prove otherwise they may well drop it. I think it was a mobile camera. The site where it says it was taken is not a fixed site, but it is on the list of camera sites...