The mkiv Supra Owners Club

aux belt tensioner?

L33

My tensioner is making the most fustrating noise so needs replacing but I can't seem to find the part any where, or even a pic to see if I have one in my box of left over parts?!

Do I need to replace the whole tensioner arm or do I just find a bearing for the wheel? Even a new wheel?

Cheers

You need an aux belt pre-tensioner pulley if you want to replace it all, otherwise I believe the bearing is about £8 itself, but of course it's replacing it...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2321096&postcount=13

Is where I sold mine, can't remember the part number but there's a photo right there and what it cost me with a discount :)

Some makes of belt make a hell of a noise, I only buy two different makes now. The pulley bearing won't squeak, they just whir. Plastic pulleys can't have the bearings replaced, they are moulded in, steel ones can. Sounds more like the pivot bearing of the arm, which means buying a new arm. Manual and auto arms differ. They are expensive.

Don't think so but its the tensioner bearing I recon

I thought my aux tensioner bearing had gone because the car was making a metalic duff-bearing type noise. I tried two different tensioners, changed the power steering pump, water pump and crank pulley before i found out it was the belt making the noise! :blink:

Sprinkle some talcum powder onto the belt & see if the noise stops ;) I found WD40 would stop it temporarily but made it worse in the long run.

It could just be a damp belt from all the rubbish weather we've been having.

Yea I found a bill before it went in for the engine build and I bought one for 125 I think it was! It sounds like a budgie!! When it makes the noise u see it move a little! PITA!

Not sure what the wheel is made of but its standard and black off a jspec auto

mine is making a slight noise also . i was just going to remove it and buy a replacement bearing maching the numbers on the old bearing , but upon reading chrises reply i remembered mine is a plastic one .

So can a plastic be replaced with a metal one chris if i source a second hand one and replace the bearing in that .

I think so, yes.

Mine is def the tensioner not the belt, the noise is very obvious and coming straight from the tensioner when it moves a tad and goes when u rev a little so its when its idling! Just ruins the sound of a new engine!

That's exactly what mine did! :D You could even squirt WD40 directly at the tensioner wheel and the noise would stop. It still turned out to be the belt in the end.

It's worth giving the talc trick a try as new aux tensioners are £180 from toyota (I checked with Paul Whiffin) You can't just buy the pulley either which is really annoying! ;)

Mine is def the tensioner not the belt, the noise is very obvious and coming straight from the tensioner when it moves a tad and goes when u rev a little so its when its idling! Just ruins the sound of a new engine!

I have a mate who can get me one for 72 with his discount!

Edited by L33 (see edit history)