The mkiv Supra Owners Club

okay to use paintstripper?

pezzler

I have had a job outstanding on the supra since I bought it 2 years ago; the previous owner thought it would if he had eyebrows painted on to the nice clear lenses that are fitted.

Originally when I first saw the car I thought it looked quite novel.....3 hours later I needed them off.....2 years later I get around to doing it

Right, so I need to get the paint off of the lenses:

Will i damage or tarnish the lenses if I use paintstripper?

If not, would anyone be able to recommend a product?

Or would I be best to use a very fine grit sandpaper?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

I take it you have plastic headlights ?

Thats a yes then, hmmm tricky

What about a heat gun to warm the paint then ease it off with a plastic filler spreader or similar, then use thinners to remove any left and wipe off very quickly ? just a thought but not sure it would work

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

What about a heat gun to warm the paint then ease it off with a plastic filler spreader or similar, then use thinners to remove any left and wipe off very quickly ? just a thought but not sure it would work

Yeah, I did consider that, bit worried that if i'm applying enough heat the cause the paint to blister - I'll be applying enough heat to warp, or leave heat spots on the lense.

might have to go back to the drawing board

Guest blueangel

you need to take it off with sandpaper fella stripper will melt the lenses, start with about 180grit until you nearly have the paint off but swap over to 400 then 800 then 1200 then 1500 then 2000 then onto a fine paste and finally a glass polish.its a long job to keep them looking good but really is the best way.

ric