The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powerhouse Racing Street Turbo Kit for 1993-98 Supra TT - What's Your Thoughts?

gurnam

Thinking of going for the very last kit in the link below as have decided that I'm after a little bit more power than what the OEM TT setup can offer me. I'm after around 550bhp at the fly which after some research, will feel marginally quicker than the OEM twins.

Anyone running this kit? It's a fairly reasonably priced kit too so I would just need to have it mapped with bigger injectors. Also seems like a straight fit.

Will I need an external wastegate?

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=211&SearchYN=N

yup, that the one I have, I belive Lui has it as well - its more than marginally quicker the the stock twins! You'll need a bit more than mappping and injectors... FMIC, clutch, Decat pipes, fuel pump etc... (BPU Parts) I'm assuming you already have an standalone ECU or piggyback one? - as the stock ECU cannot be remapped...

I'm after around 550bhp at the fly which after some research, will feel marginally quicker than the OEM twins.

It will feel HUGELY quicker than the stock turbos, the way the power is delivered is completely different.

Will I need an external wastegate?

It looks as though the kit includes the wastegate.

What fueling upgrades and ECU are you using? You will also need a stronger clutch.

I already have all the BPU bits on my car already. FMIC is being sorted as we speak so just ECU and injectors with a good remap.

Do you have any dyno graphs?

What's the max horsepower you have made on this kit heckler?

EDIT: Don't worry about the clutch as I'll just change it when it's blown so not an issue for now. I already have uprated brakes & clutch might also be uprated. I just want to know about this turbo kit.

I already have all the BPU bits on my car already. FMIC is being sorted as we speak so just ECU and injectors with a good remap.

EDIT: Don't worry about the clutch as I'll just change it when it's blown so not an issue for now. I already have uprated brakes & clutch might also be uprated. I just want to know about this turbo kit.

A stock clutch won't last 5 minutes, you'll have to change it.

The turbo should be able to make just over 500hp (flywheel) at 1.4bar.

no idea on power - tbh, not interested, all i know is a damn sight quicker - I "think" lui made 500 ish. The kit comes with an external wastegate... you'll be in for a shock ;)

I have this kit fitted to my supra & very very impressed with results & performance see link below to see build thread & also have look at my garage spec to see what else you need to have done

This kit is also supplied with a Tial 44mm external waste gate as part of the kit.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=164766

Edited by lui (see edit history)

I have this kit fitted to my supra & very very impressed with results & performance see link below to see build thread & also have look at my garage spec to see what else you need to have done

This kit is also supplied with a Tial 44mm external waste gate as part of the kit.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=164766

i like your thread mate - nice set up.

this has got me thinking ....

new turbo kit on this thread

new injectors

ecu and a remap ...... 500+BHP!! :D

Any complications since Lui? I remember you were very pleased with it.

None what so ever 100% happy with it & it's performance ;)

That's a nice install Lui just been reading about it now.

Do you reckon I could hit my target 550bhp if I throw some cams in?

Mines a 6 speed manual.

Where did you purchase the kit from?

Purchased the kit from Joe @ PHR power house racing in USA they have link in traders section

Not without running high boost (1.6bar+) which is going to generate a lot of heat due to the cast manifold.

I wouldn't get too hung up on hp numbers.

What is the upside and downside about a cast manifold on a 2j-gte?

I think it could be awesome to see a GT35R with a cast manifold as a low budget kit.

What is the upside and downside about a cast manifold on a 2j-gte?

I think it could be awesome to see a GT35R with a cast manifold as a low budget kit.

I was umming and ahh'ing that one, but I think I'd go with a GT37R, principally because nobody has done it before - that I know of?

Nice spec dandan, is the kit "home made"? Also is there a sound difference from cast to tubular manifold?

How much was that kit dandan?

All the pipework etc is homemade but obviously I didn't make the turbo or wastegate :) It's hard to put a price on it as it is all custom and paying for fabrication time could be very costly. The downpipe alone had days and days of effort invested into it to get the recirculation routing perfect as it's a fine balance of optimum design vs available space. Also the flex section and lower mounting brace took a lot of effort to get perfect. I'd hate to have paid someone to fabricate the whole thing from scratch like this :faint: Plus there's the ceramic coating on everything which was around £600 if I remember rightly.

In terms of sound - I can't give you a fair comparison as I have a really quiet exhaust fitted at the moment and have not heard another single with the same setup. It is close to standard at idle, when tootling around it is quiet but sounds quite "sharp". At full chat it is not boomy or droney at all and is quite hard to describe.....it screams like a banshee and sounds like it's literally tearing the air apart that's coming out of the exhaust...not dissimilar to a jet to be honest. Once I fit the 4" bypassed exhaust section we'll see how that sounds and I can make a fairer comparsion to the tubular manifold singles on their typical 4" exhausts.

In terms of cast vs tubular - I've never seen a solid case for a tubular item over a cast version. I did this conversion with the intention of creating a killer road setup with no compromises. If I thought a tubular manifold offered advantages I would have fitted one. I would love to see someone's dyno plot (of the same setup except for the manifold) making either more torque or more power on the same rollers at the same boost. Something else to bear in mind is that I am using a 0.81 housing on a 67mm turbo and still making bags of low end torque.

I intend to get to 600bhp with this setup and have no concerns about doing it on road fuel at all. Once I get the exhaust bypass installed, my Greddy 3 row installed and my WI sorted I will hit the rollers again and see how she does. I will also get some real world numbers regarding boost vs EGT for this cast setup. I'd love to push it to the limit and do a direct back to back with a popular tubular manifold but I don't have the time and I'd be concerned about pushing my engine that hard as well to be honest :)

If I was aiming for 900bhp then I'd be thinking about a tubular one. At the moment I wouldn't ever consider it. They suck up a lot of space, shed a heap of heat into the engine bay, coolant system and other components. They're more expensive to ceramic coat, the route from manifold face to turbo face is up to 5 times longer (sacrificing spool - divided and pulse tuned or not) and the angle of the wastegate routing off nearly every tubular manifold I have seen is just horrible.

A big upside if they are commonly available in "kits" so there's no need to fabricate downpipe, IC pipes, wastegate rerouting etc. Obviously the PHR street kit is a "kit" as well which is great for people who don't want to mess about with a lot of fabrication work. I do like the PHR street kit a lot but I'd like to see if offered with other turbo options. In my opinion the kit's downsides (which are by no means show-stoppers, maybe just me being fussy) are:

1. Unknown internal porting of manifold (I spent hours working on mine for optimum flow)

2. 4 bolt downpipe flange

3. Potentially quite a small turbo depending on your goals - Wez ran one with stock cams and his very low rpm torque was phenomenal but arguably wasted that low down in the rev range. A 67mm turbo is so responsive on a cast manifold I personally see no need to go down to something like a 61mm.

4. Potential boost creep issues (I don't know how big the wastegate port area is - mine is about 42mm in the narrowest point)

Hopefully those points may be useful to you gurnam :)

Edited by dandan
Corrected spelling :) (see edit history)

Wez ran one with stock cams and his very low rpm torque was phenomenal but arguably wasted that low down in the rev range.

Indeed, the car was a complete animal and just spun its wheels all the time, entertaining and thrilling for passenger rides but its much more driveable with more power and a more linear graph :D

What engine spec did u have wez for that graph?

Stock engine, stock cams, AEM ECU, Induction Motorsport kit with a PHR Stage 1 (60-1) turbo, CW SMIC, Walbro pump, PE 650cc drop in injectors and a Veilside Ti exhaust.

Can u run a single tubo with stock cams fine then?

Of course, but they do restrict flow up top.