The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help me protect my paint

The-Plethora

I am having a painter check the car over this saturday for what will likely be its 3rd bit of painting in only a few months :)

The car has aftermarket skirts on and so the protective rubber of the wheel arch (or whatever you call it) has gone with it.

This is the state of it at the moment due to stone chips.

I will be getting all of these painted back up along with a bit of other work I have asked to be carried out. Obviously I need these protecting and I was simply going to look for some adheasive backed rubber sheet that I can cut to size, but cant find anything around the local hardware shops.

Has anyone got anything they could suggest or where I can get it? Would it also be possible to get some sort of clear vinyl sheet to put over it instead? Although I still fear it would damage the paint.

Cheers for any help.

Dave

Have a search for `Helicopter tape`, It`s a clear thick adhesive tape used to protect the leading edge of Helicopter blades.

I may be wrong here, but im pretty sure the Supra dont have Helicopter blades, might be wrong though. :D

goes to google Helicopter tape :D

Hmmm ok this 3M VentureShield sounds interesting, is there any UK based place I can buy this mythical stuff? :)

All the sites I found seem to supply pre fabricated strips for stock cars only. I guess it's quite pricey but can anyone link somewhere that supplies it by the sheet so I can cut it to fit? Failing that I will have to use rubber which wont look as great :(.

Just get vinyl the same colour and make a paper template and stick it on. The vinyl will take the stones hitting it better than brittle paint.

Done this on my TRD skirts years back and still good, not worth messing around with namby pamby 3M stuff imo.

The "invisibleshield" is apparently military grade protective plastic used to protect leading edges of helicopter blades per the above posts.

They normally sell it to protect stuff like ipods or touch screen phones from being scratched to hell by keys in your pockets - I have the stuff on a phone and mp3 player and its very tough and durable (but the edges do get gunked up). 5 years on with a creative zen Vision:M and the screen is still scratch free and like new.

I think the company that sell it is called Zagg and they have a facility where you can order custom sized cuts of it (usually for devices they dont already have templates cut for)- its applied by wetting the "sticky" surface with some sort of detergent, and then placing it onto the screen (for mp3), ironing out air bubbles with a credit card or similar and leaving it to set for a few hours.

Now obviously the supe isnt an mp3 player screen :) But.. the stuff is very durable and It may be able to be adapted to protect those vulnrable areas. Not sure how it would hold up to cleaning / rain etc though as generally phones and mp3 players dont get snowfoamed :)

http://www.zagg.com/?s_kwcid=TC|9984|invisible%20shield||S||4762864183&gclid=CO6o77PMkKACFVRm4wodvDiNdQ

Just get vinyl the same colour and make a paper template and stick it on. The vinyl will take the stones hitting it better than brittle paint.

Done this on my TRD skirts years back and still good, not worth messing around with namby pamby 3M stuff imo.

Good idea:)

I might try a sheet of gloss black vinyl of Ebay....better than nothing;)

Good idea:)

I might try a sheet of gloss black vinyl of Ebay....better than nothing;)

It works, I got a large roll to match my colour paint and intended changing it once a year, well 4 years or more on and the same pieces are still on there.

All this talk of Helicopter blade tape makes me laugh, bit ott and probably bloody expensive all to do the same job. As you say get some gloss vinyl off Ebay, easier for you to match if yours is black ;)

It works, I got a large roll to match my colour paint and intended changing it once a year, well 4 years or more on and the same pieces are still on there.

All this talk of Helicopter blade tape makes me laugh, bit ott and probably bloody expensive all to do the same job. As you say get some gloss vinyl off Ebay, easier for you to match if yours is black ;)

Yep, freshly painted 202:d

Worth a try for a fiver!!!