The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Maximum Performance Through The Gears?

Holden1989

I was taking a look at this thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=154393

But my maths is shocking

Was just wondering what the maximum RPM is when a gear has reached its maximum output? For example when on a drag strip, at what RPM should i be changing at when going up a gear?

The gearbox/supra in question is a 5speed NA - and yes, i am well aware there is nothing i can do about not having a set of turbos at my leisure ;)

It would just be handy to know - not going to rev the nuts of it knowing that there is nothing more it can give..........

TIA

Ideally you need a dyno to find out when peak power and peak torque are produced, and go from there.

If its stock, find out what rpm they are normally developed at and go with that, the only expeption being that if you are about to cross the line, and are still accelerating you may as well not change :)

I think. Not actually put the theory into practice myself :D

Ideally you need a dyno to find out when peak power and peak torque are produced, and go from there.

If its stock, find out what rpm they are normally developed at and go with that, the only expeption being that if you are about to cross the line, and are still accelerating you may as well not change :)

The rpm the next gear is in when changed will also need to be factored in.

Whats the point in redlining it though? Surely if your not going to get anymore power out of the gears then whats the point in wasting fuel and 'proberly' fcuking up the engine :rolleyes:

Meh

Il stick to my 4.5rpm in 'spirited' situations

If you change gear just when it makes most power then you will out of the powerband at the next gear, thorin is right, redline it so you dont dip out of the best power.

The rpm the next gear is in when changed will also need to be factored in.

Surely the best thing is to keep the peak of the power curve in the middle of your change band? For example (with simplified numbers): Peak power is at 6000 (400BHP), you change gear at 6500 (380BHP), and in the next gear your revs are 5500 (380BHP) ready to go up and down the peak again. Your BHP never drops below 380 unlike if you changed at 7000 (360BHP) and dropped down to 6000 in the next gear.

I'm not sure how much input the torque curve gives though, maybe you need a mix of the 2?