The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint removal from carbon bonnet

safcdixon

Thats a tricky one and i'll be amazed if it can be done without affecting the c/f underneath.

I take it the c/f bonnet was laquered and then someone painted over it ? if so then they should have flatted the laquer to take the shine off to get the paint to stick to it so who knows what you might find under the paint if you can get it off.

I guess thinking out loud you could possibly da the bonnet with flatting discs if your real carefull but it might take quite a while, taking extra care not to go though the laquer inbetween the paint and the c/f.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Carbon is only shiny because its been laquered over just like you do with paint on cars.

If you sanded through the laquer onto the carbon im not sure what would happen, what you could do with is a sample piece of painted carbon and try sanding it down and see what happens.

Start with a 250 grit lightly sand it while keeping it wet with water, once the colour is almost off use a 400grit wet still and take the remaning colour off now go to 800 grit and give it a once over it will probably be a milky white substance this is the orginal clearcoat on the carbon wipe dry and look for scratches that may have been from the sanding and remove these as this will show , now you to apply a clearcoat lacquer/clear gel coat or you might be lucky enough it might mop up ... good luck

I would be very Wary of what you put on carbon fibre, the low grade stuff is often done using fibreglass resin, and if it is them any paint stripper will not do it any favours.

Agreed.

I personally wouldnt go anywhere near it with paint stripper, sanding it back very carefully with a da is the only way in my opinion.

A lot will depend on how much paint is on the bonnet, can you see the carbon weave through the paint ?

Na you can't see the weave it's smooth and it's very green so the best option is to mop it off I think it's worth a shot and would improve the look of the car

You wont mop it off mate, that would take forever. You need to da it off using flatting pads.

Start with a coarse grade to knock the top off but be carefull you dont go through into the c/f, then get a finer grade to work down to the c/f and fingers crossed.