The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mapping question...

pauld36

hi everyone, this question is aimed at traders but anyone can feel free to add their opinion,

if someone had paid you to install engine,which you do ,

youve added hks fuel rail,hks 750 injectors,uprated fuel pump.

an almighty great big single turbo all wired up with the hks f,con gold pro ecu.is there anyway in the world youd send that car back to customer without a re-map ,or am i being stupid to expect that to be automatically done.

detonation follows in approx 10 miles ????????:(

Need more details really, it would be quite irresponsible to hand the car back without saying such things as, it's on a base map, do not drive, get it trailered for dyno/mapping time etc, but i'd never assume if I'd dropped the car off that it would be mapped ready to go unless i've been advised thats the case etc, but i'd imagine you would have followed the build closely with your tuners so you should have been or may have been advised of this?

I find it hard to believe a tuner would let a car go like this as it's obvious it would blow in an instant, if they've been paid for what you've asked, they're not at fault as far as I can see, but advice should have been given

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

ok i can accept that it would cost more,but i just feel that even if you was walking out the door ,someone could say, dont run any power until youve been remapped or anything helpful really.

we are not all mechanics and i didnr

t know it would need remapping ,wrongly or rightly

ok i can accept that it would cost more,but i just feel that even if you was walking out the door ,someone could say, dont run any power until youve been remapped or anything helpful really.

we are not all mechanics and i didnr

t know it would need remapping ,wrongly or rightly

I honestly would have thought so, as said it would be quite shocking to not let you know such things as that, I cant see a reason for them not to say, it's only going to harm their reputation by knowing the car would be in bits once left the workshop.

It would have been blatantly obvious to anyone with some mechanical knowledge that during the fitting of the ecu that it would need at least a base map for tootling around town etc, my mind boggles to why it would be let out of the workshop with at least some advice.

Seems like a case of poor communication

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

but surely it would have some kind of running in map to its half set up like mine is at the mo

In my mind and please don't take this as gospel..

Installation of an ECU is one activity, mapping be it base or running map is a second and different activity.

It is not totally unheard of to install an ECU and then get the car moved to a chosen mapper.

ok i can accept that it would cost more,but i just feel that even if you was walking out the door ,someone could say, dont run any power until youve been remapped

hang on how were u driving when this det?

any new build unless its been dynoed shouldnt be put under power straight away! i cant boost or go above 4k for 1500 miles as its all new, thought that was common sense?

Oh good grief, everyone knows that you need a remap following those mechanical changes :faint:

hang on how were u driving when this det?

any new build unless its been dynoed shouldnt be put under power straight away! i cant boost or go above 4k for 1500 miles as its all new, thought that was common sense?

Common sense to those who have been in the modifying scene for a while.

Most joe bloggs off the street wouldn't have a clue in fairness.

explain a little power

even new cars from a dealer your ment to go steady for a few miles, its in the hand book?

getting the impression you have had a build and then just floored it and its gone pop? dont think the garage can be held responsable for that? my first questions when i picked mine up was what boost and revs is my limit and i dont know squat about mechanics! my gf changed my brakes for me!

i know now this is my problem 100 percent and hind sight is a wonderful thing,they didnt charge for remapping,so its tough luck on me .i just feel someone should have mentioned it in case i was as stupid as i turned out to be lol

Expensive learning curve, sorry to hear that :(