The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering wheel not straight

BigT

Went to look at a car the other day. Very nice it was to. But the only thing that was weird was the car was not going straight when the steering wheel was centered. The wheel had to be turned a bit for the car to go straight. Any ideas what it could be?

this might sound weird, but when i hit the kerb it knocked the toe out on one rear wheel. anyway went to have them aligned and the front wheels were dead straight and lined up with steering wheel. But with the toe out caused the steering wheel not to be straight. Once the toe was sorted on the rear back wheel steering wheel was straight again!

weird as its not 4 wheel steering

Do you mean that the steering wheel isn't in a proper position when you're going straight (for example, if it's a three spoke wheel you'd have one spoke going straight down and one each at 4 and 8 o'clock) OR do you mean you had to physically apply steering in one direction to make the car go straight?

The first sounds like someone has taken the wheel off to adjust something (eg, dials, dash lights), the second sounds a bit more serious.

for example, if it's a three spoke wheel you'd have one spoke going straight down and one each at 4 and 8 o'clock

Thats the one :) if you held the wheel like that the car would go to the right I think it was. You could move the wheel to where it was off and the car would go straight.

Originally posted by BigT

Thats the one :) if you held the wheel like that the car would go to the right I think it was. You could move the wheel to where it was off and the car would go straight.

exactly what i had and that was what i said above fixed my problem. is it miles out or not too much??

sounds like 4 wheel laser alignment should sort you out, thats what i had done and that should make the steering wheel straight

this might sound weird, but when i hit the kerb it knocked the toe out on one rear wheel.

It was exactley what you said it would be :) rear left was out by 1o12' and the two fronts by -0o08' and 0o51' not cheap though it was £69.99 all in :(