The mkiv Supra Owners Club

raceligic traction control opinions please

Guest Shaun Hayward

Guest Shaun Hayward

Hi

i've had my supra for a while now and a couple of times ive managed to spin the car. luckily for me ive never caused any damage YET.

im now considreing getting the racelogic system.

I would seriously not be without RLTC.

While nothing can probably pull you out of a spin (apart from yourself), RLTC will 99% of the time stop you getting into one in the first place.

Just compare the price of it, to having to have your Supe repaired.

Guest Shaun Hayward

thanks for your opinions. maybe is should get some driving lessons too :)

it does look like a really good device. i think ill have to get one

whats it like to fit? im happy to do some work myself but i dont want to break anything

Originally posted by HISUPE

If you can fit a car stereo, its not far off that!

:eek:

car stereos comes with ISO connectors and screws, RLTC comes with wires and clips and stuff. If you can solder or crimp upside down in the footwell then you can probably fit it.

JB

Originally posted by outatime

but as a safety device RL is very effective.

possibly yes, but accidents still happen..........i'm not saying RLTC 'causes' accidents and will undoubtable help more often than not, but if you do force it enough it will still come unstuck and the chances are you'll be going alot faster than your other two spins.

BTW these spins were they in the damp/wet?

I fitted mine, took a whole Saturday, but I'd only just got the car and wanted to make absolutely sure I did it all correctly.

And yes it is a PITA lying on your back soldering in the footwell:(

Could probably do it again in a few hours now though :thumbs:

Originally posted by Branners

:eek:

car stereos comes with ISO connectors and screws, RLTC comes with wires and clips and stuff. If you can solder or crimp upside down in the footwell then you can probably fit it.

JB

I meant from the good old days before ISO connectors JB - when you had to actually do the wiring yourself ;)

:D

With RL fitted and set to Wet you can drive around in a downpour in a decatted j'spec with the stereo cranked , without suddenly facing sideways when No2 comes online......

Your wife can drive the Soop ..... and you can relax safe in the knowledge that she isn't gonna do a 360 when she canes it out of Sainsburys exit road......

It can also be switched off..

I agree with eveyone elses sentiments. It's a really great bit of kit. In a similar response to Matt above, one of my favorite things is the ability to pretty much floor it off of a roundabout in the rain. From a standing start, the car with RL will accelerate almost as quickly as in the dry!

With regard to installation, you have to cut all the injector wires, connect up power, earth and RPM, all in the kickwell at the main ECU, 15 connections, and another 4 about a foot into the rear of the dash at the ABS ecu, then another 3 wires to the control unit. IMO the ABS ones are the biggest PITA. We've found about 5 variations of ABS system so far! :innocent:

It's not rocket science, but it's not a nice job, if wiring's not your strong point.

Superb bit of kit, one of the best mods I did.

And I just so happen to have a unit for sale

....and why's yours for sale? Oh yes, I remember, you lost the rear end coming off a roundabout and wrote your car off, right? :D

Shaun, You might get the impression from everyone else's replies to this thread that RLTC is a "must have" and that we've all got it, well that's not the case. I'm sure it's good and all, the ability to floor it from a standing start in the wet sounds good but other than that I really don't think I need it. I've got a decatted TT and have lost traction cornering in the wet a few times but it's something that you get used to and learn to cope with after a while. Just don't push things too far until you've more 'in tune' with your car's grip levels and handling than you are currently.

Also, I think there might be a danger of folks with RLTC being too reliant on it. I'm sure HISUPE isn't the only RLTC user to lose his car on a corner and write it off, who else? Was 'Far' a RLTC punter?

Originally posted by Jake

....and why's yours for sale? Oh yes, I remember, you lost the rear end coming off a roundabout and wrote your car off, right? :D

Shaun, You might get the impression from everyone else's replies to this thread that RLTC is a "must have" and that we've all got it, well that's not the case. I'm sure it's good and all, the ability to floor it from a standing start in the wet sounds good but other than that I really don't think I need it. I've got a decatted TT and have lost traction cornering in the wet a few times but it's something that you get used to and learn to cope with after a while. Just don't push things too far until you've more 'in tune' with your car's grip levels and handling than you are currently.

Also, I think there might be a danger of folks with RLTC being too reliant on it. I'm sure HISUPE isn't the only RLTC user to lose his car on a corner and write it off, who else? Was 'Far' a RLTC punter?

Oooooo thats a bit harsh mate.

There was nothing RLTC was going to do with my car, it snapped so quick and fast that the RLTC didn't have a chance, not much it can do when you snap sideways so quickly. It works great, but it needs some grip to do it........

BTW - Far wasn't on a corner - he was on a motorway ;)

P.S - from that description it makes it sound like I completely lost it at speed with the term write off - which technically I did (write the car off), but I was doing under 40 when the car went and it shows what happens when you hit an object that isn't going to deform (concrete) ;) There have been 2 other incidents since mine on the same part of road exactly, one a RWD TVR, at much lower speed than I was going (as he was in the car when I crashed and has respect for the roundabout now) ;)

Oooooo thats a bit harsh mate.

:tongue:

No offence meant Neil, you know I like to take the piss. You can take it usually, I know today's not a good day for you though, I should have been more subtle, sorry :thumbs:

Far wasn't on a corner - he was on a motorway]
Still lost the back end though didn't he? (iirc) I thought RLTC was supposed to work in stright lines too, no?

Originally posted by Jake

:tongue:

No offence meant Neil, you know I like to take the piss. You can take it usually, I know today's not a good day for you though, I should have been more subtle, sorry :thumbs:

Still lost the back end though didn't he? (iirc) I thought RLTC was supposed to work in stright lines too, no?

LOL - yeah mate, I know :D (and you know me!)

Shit today ;) + shit whole week and beer = neil a bit :( :(

;) LOL!

He did, but you have to wonder, how the back suddenly went out at normal cruise on a motorway unless there was something on the road :confused: Can't comment on exact details but that was my take on it.......

Ah feck it! I'm off to bed!! LOL!