The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension question

Dnk

Im trying to sort out a 95 na for a friend, the car is on stock wheels and tyres and looks about right where it sits on the suspension height wise.

It all looks level and i can get 3 fingers inbetween the arch and the tyre on both fronts, i can lift the car a good couple of inches by hand but when you come to push down on either front wing its totally solid and doesn't move.

The car is horrid to drive and crashes over every bump, my thoughts are the front springs are too strong to let the car move downwards, if i didn't know any better i'd say it was lowered and on the bump stops but it's not.

Any thoughts guys and what kind of gap do you na guys have between the top of the tyres and the wheel arch's on stock suspension.

Contact Chris Wilson bud.He knows suspention.

Im after members input with na's to be honest to get an idea of how they ride and where the car sits on stock suspension.

I have a feeling the previous owner has fitted differant front springs to the car as it seems to high to me and way to hard.

If someone has an na in stock trim could they measure from the ground up or from the centre of the wheel to the where the wheel arch is.

Thanks

Mine originally sat high as well...

I believe it had a set of TT front springs, but there was also the possibility of the front springs being swapped over with the rears

Did it feel very hard on the front ? this car is virtually undriveable its that hard.

Its almost like the dampers have run out of travel

why dont you get in on a ramp or a good quality jack and have a look. Me and my bro did my suspension the other week and was suprised how easy it was took about 30mins a corner.

Do you have anything you could replace it with i think i still have a set of n\a shocks springs you could try think there kyb shocks and standard springs

Shame your abit away i woulda just brought them for you to try on it

My Na sat very high on stock suspension- noticeable gap between arch and wheels even at a distance (unfortunatley no measurements to speak of).. Gave a very comfortable ride even when i switched to 19's. no nasty jolts, or knocks when going over uneven surfaces.

why dont you get in on a ramp or a good quality jack and have a look. Me and my bro did my suspension the other week and was suprised how easy it was took about 30mins a corner.

Do you have anything you could replace it with i think i still have a set of n\a shocks springs you could try think there kyb shocks and standard springs

Shame your abit away i woulda just brought them for you to try on it

I've had the car on a ramp and can't see anything wrong with it, im just trying to find decent stock second hand dampers and springs now.

They aren't stock dampers on the car as their painted silver which are possibly KYB, no idea on the springs yet.

Whats the tyre pressures at? It can give the felling of a hard ride if they are too high.

It's not tyre pressures, that was the 1st thing i crossed off the list incase someone had over inflated them, the suspension doesnt move downwards even with there being a good +2 inch gap between the tyre and wheel arch.

I think i shall have to get the springs and dampers off the car and strip them down to find out whats up.

Or just bin them and get a good second hand pair, i've put a wanted add in the parts section so hopefully someone might have a pair to sell.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

bump because of similar problem. I have KYB AGX with Eibach springs in my NA and the ride is terrible! Its harsh and totally uncomfortable. the car sits low and looks good but I cannot drive it anymore with that level of comfort (0 level )

I am wondering which way to go. I have oportunity to buy a set of shocks with springs from TT in mint condition but some fellas told me that my Na will sit like a monster truck specially on front.

I dont know what to do. Im looking for comfy ride that looks good.

Stock NA set? Or maybe TT shocks with NA springs?

Forgot to mention - Im on stock wheels and tires and I feel white paintings on the road :/

Edited by krisso_pl (see edit history)

Anybody with some advice? Come on guys-I dont know what to buy:( On US board people told me to go TT shocks with NA springs but they have definitely better roads. also I dont know what will be the height of the ride on this setup. Any help?

Does anybody know whats up with Keron? Ive been trying to contact him but with no respond.

i had the same problem when you drove the car over bad surfaces ,you couldnt hold the steering wheel one handed the car would be all over the place ,so i bought some shocks and springs(yellow tt ones)and put them on the car mine is a na.The back height was fine,BUT the front was too high when you sat in the car you felt like you were taking off in a plane,so I took the springs off the tt shocks and replaced them with the na springs and put them back on the car WOW what a difference now you can drive the car one handed while eating a pastie now and you can go over the roughest road surface and the car goes straight.

i had the same problem when you drove the car over bad surfaces ,you couldnt hold the steering wheel one handed the car would be all over the place ,so i bought some shocks and springs(yellow tt ones)and put them on the car mine is a na.The back height was fine,BUT the front was too high when you sat in the car you felt like you were taking off in a plane,so I took the springs off the tt shocks and replaced them with the na springs and put them back on the car WOW what a difference now you can drive the car one handed while eating a pastie now and you can go over the roughest road surface and the car goes straight.

So basicly your saying it was the dampers, did you have the KYB gas type ?

• 1 month later...

Guys... yesterday I tried to sort out my suspension the way we talked in that thread. Ive installed new wishbones and rear TT sway bar. But how the hell am I supposed to fit NA front springs to TT shocks?!@^#$*!#&

The bottom of the spring seam to be different, more flat than TT one and it wont sit tight at the bottom of the shock so how it is supposed to work? Look at the pictures. Yes, I can somehow squeeze it with the top mount but I think it will knock and turn on bumps.

Also I heard that it matters which is left and right- how to recognize which goes where?

Help please!

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5951/img0465i.jpg

URL=http://img687.imageshack.us/i/img0469fm.jpg/]http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7898/img0469fm.jpg[/url]

Edited by krisso_pl (see edit history)

They are the wrong springs.

DNK, if it lifts 2 inches fairly easily but won't compress it's probably dampers set up for drifting with a huge amount of bump in them.

We got new dampers and the cars sorted now Chris, thanks :thumbs: