The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo/rev problems :-(

Lee

Have had my supra now for 4 months with no major problems, with the better weather coming in i'm starting to use the car to it's potential! :eek: But i'm noticing that

1. The second turbo doesn't "kick in" now and again. When this happens i let off the throttle and try again and seems to work fine.

2. The revs limits to 5750 rpm sometimes.

Have reset the ECU tonight but no joy...any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Specs

Jap import, Auto TT 94

Standard apart from Hks BOV and induction kit

P.s sorry if its a bit vague...first technical post! Still learning

:stupid:

Lee,

Problem number 1 seems to be a bit of a recurring problem with these cars. Especially as they tend to age. My personal belief is that the hoses to the valves that control the 2nd turbo go hard and brittle. I changed all of these hoses and did them up with jubilee clips and I haven't sufered with it since.

Problem number 2 sounds very perculiar, and it's the first time I've heard of anyone suffering with anything like this. What has your car got in terms of speed convertor/ speed limit defensor? I'm sure it's nothing to do with this, as it's related to engine rpm not vehicle speed. but maybe worth a little investigation just to rule it out.

I used to have a random rev limit in first, and only in first, gear. It would cut in between 5800 and 7200 rpm :eek: Is it as random as that?

As for the second turbo, it's hoses hoses hoses my friend :) There are lots to check, so are rather inaccessible.

-Ian

Thanks for the responses!

Not sure on the type of speed convertor/ speed limit defensor type but i phoned the importer today and they said it's a "cheap all in one" at around £130. There is a dearer option of £300.

They've told me to bring it down, possibly engine management they said. Not convinced though as no warning lights are showing.

I'm not "deffo" on whether it is a rev limit of fuel cut. How can i tell? Not sure if the cats are in place either. Will get someone to check this out promto!

And yes the revs cut between 5800 and 7200 rpm. But this happens in all gears even neutral.