The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension question to experts

krisso_pl

Mates Im going to rebulid my suspension since I dont really know what is wrong. My ride is very harsh and far way from comfy but car is handling good and not floating or anything buy On rough roads I have problems with keeping her straight.

I dont know what is worn-maybe bushes or maybe calipers but the calipers test doesnt show anything.

Biggest problem is with knocking rear. Dont know what is knocking-everything seem to be very firm (maybe too firm)

I have front little worn out bushes.

Rear little worn out bushes with upper arm bushes regenerated.

OEM coilovers with eibach springs (ride seem to be a little lowered then oem)

225/45 front on oem wheels

255/40 rear on oem wheels

Can you please tell me what to do? Maybe some setup ideas? What to change? I dont want mercedes class ride but Im looking for a little more comfy anf quiet ride.

Also what is the cost of new oem coilovers or some good replacement part?

What are your oem coilovers?

I have the oem trd bilstein fitted now and in my oppinion the ride is very harsh my mates allways joke that there insides are moving around inside them lol

also my suspension used to knock at rear left it was due to knackerd shock also had knocking before that from a wrecked drop link :search:

Depends on your budget but id go for the bilsteins over tein coilovers anyday of the week.

Another decent option is a set of KONI adjustable shocks which can be had for about £300-£400

So how much will a decent set of used Bilstein's cost me with new springs?

If this is a cheaper and better option then i'll have a budget left over to upgrade my brakes, thanks Martin!!!

I don't understand this, can you explain?

Upper wishbones bushes were worn so one guy fabricated new bushes.The car have 100.000miles on it so I believe other bushes are a little worn out to.

I have black coilovers with "TOKICO" sign.

So what to do?

Also- if I want a comfy ride and need to replace bushes- poliurethanes?new bushes? only new wishbones? (SIC!)

Edited by krisso_pl (see edit history)

there was a set of yellow used bilsteins n\a on ebay the other day for £200

just had a quick look but couldnt find those found a set from a turbo you could just swap your springs over its bids though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/supra-turbo-blistein-suspension_W0QQitemZ200442223279QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2eab499aaf

Edited by w41k3r (see edit history)

I remember fitting eibach springs many years ago to my first supra and the ride quiclky turned harsh.

Chris wilson (trader on here) can valve you a set of bilsteins to suit your needs as the jap aftermarket stuff will be too harsh also especially with their pillowball top mounts.

I will contact him of course,but what about a new set? can you recommend something? Ive intercars here and they have KYB shocks but I dont think they are worth the money. What about new from toyota- anybody know the prices? Or maybe some other brand dedicated to MKIV based on the oem suspension?

Last-what about those bushes? Do you suggest replacing them? If so-poliurethane?- I heard those make ride stiffer but less comfortable.

I will contact him of course,but what about a new set? can you recommend something? Ive intercars here and they have KYB shocks but I dont think they are worth the money. What about new from toyota- anybody know the prices? Or maybe some other brand dedicated to MKIV based on the oem suspension?

I would go with a set of new Toyota/Bilstein dampers.

Toyota Part Numbers

Front 48510-09016

Rear 48530-09016

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7273/cimg00047mg.jpg

I'd try them with the Eibach springs first. If you still find the ride is too firm, then may be worth fitting a set of stock Toyota springs.

Last-what about those bushes? Do you suggest replacing them? If so-poliurethane?- I heard those make ride stiffer but less comfortable.

If you get the car on a ramp a mechanic will be able to check for play in the arms and joints. If parts are worn then I would replace with brand new OEM Toyota parts. The stock suspension arms use spherical bearings not just simple rubber bushes, replacing with poly bushes would be a downgrade.

If you do replace any suspension parts then get the geometry checked and realigned afterwards.

Have a read of this thread

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=119349

Also see here for service manual

http://www.turbosupras.com/pdfs/JZA80%20TSRM/SA.pdf

Chris uses new bilsteins, and revalves according to your needs, so its customs for you inc spring rates if you like, and NOT expensive for what you get.

There is a thread here by Ian C on replacing the stock bushes and his findings.

Dont touch anything with a non stock top mount or your ride will be harsh.

I would go with a set of new If parts are worn then I would replace with brand new OEM Toyota parts. The stock suspension arms use spherical bearings not just simple rubber bushes, replacing with poly bushes would be a downgrade.

I

Great,many thanks for this answer! Is there a possibility to buy the bushes separately from toyota, I heard that they sell only whole wishbones and they are very expensive.

You said that Chris recommend oem bilsteins or is he somehow customizing them? (I didnt understand)

Im going to write to him tomorrow.

Great,many thanks for this answer! Is there a possibility to buy the bushes separately from toyota, I heard that they sell only whole wishbones and they are very expensive.

Yes Toyota only sell the complete arms and do not sell the bushes separately. Expensive yes, but it will make a huge difference to the handling, traction and ride quality.