The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you get your car classed as a kit car?

hemmjonny

Hi all,

Had a look on the net but can not seem to find much info on this.

What modifications would you have to do to get your car classed as a kit car?

Like the MR2 355 replica is basically just a body kit and that classes it as a kit car so insurance goes from £1000 to less than half.

Could this be done with a supra??

or would it be more hassle than its worth?

Thanks

Jonathan Hemmings

We are referring to registration numbers on cars that begin with a 'Q'.

The 'Q' shows that the vehicle was either not originally registered in the UK and proof of age was unavailable at registration, or that it has been built using a significant proportion of used parts.

If a vehicle has to be rebuilt, say after an accident and many new or used parts have been used that it calls the identity of the vehicle into question, the vehicle needs to be registered on a 'Q' Plate. This is done through the DVLA. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with the vehicle, just that it's original identity cannot be clarified from the parts it is made from (i.e. from different vehicles)

Kit cars usually have a Q registration and this is perfectly normal, but on other vehicles, it suggests that their full history may be difficult to trace.

"Q" numbers are non-transferable, meaning that they must remain with the car. You cannot transfer them to another vehicle, and you cannot purchase another number plate for the 'Q' plated vehicle.

Before you purchase a vehicle with a 'Q' plate, it is very important that you obtain a HPI check to ensure that it is not stolen or ringed and registered correctly with the DVLA.

Q plates generally mean 'origin unknown', so can cover all sorts of things - off-road bikes converted to road use, kit cars, trikes, whatever.

The DVLA do use a points system for converted vehicles, but I can't remember the specifics anymore - it was about 12 years ago when I last had to go through it with my trike.

[edit] Meh - what he said :)

If a vehicle has to be rebuilt, say after an accident and many new or used parts have been used that it calls the identity of the vehicle into question, the vehicle needs to be registered on a 'Q' Plate. This is done through the DVLA. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with the vehicle, just that it's original identity cannot be clarified from the parts it is made from (i.e. from different vehicles)

Interesting. Do you know how the need for a Q plate under these circumstances is worked out? At what point does a car need reclassifying, is it down to the chassis level or just lots of interior bits?

Interesting. Do you know how the need for a Q plate under these circumstances is worked out? At what point does a car need reclassifying, is it down to the chassis level or just lots of interior bits?

It's not that a car would need reclassifying as such. Q plates are issued for a number of reasons.

Commonly, if you were to try to register a car without identity, and the original identification or chassis number could not be established, or try to register a car built from a number of other cars and less than 60% of any single car existed, (Don't ask me how they establish a percentage of a car).

Or, if a vehicle is pulled in, believe to be on false identity, and the original identity cannot be proven.

Q stands for Questionable origin. Hence why the registration mark is permanently stuck with the vehicle, and cannot be changed.

A car would only be placed on a Q after a repair if the police were involved and the repair was thought to have involved the use of stolen car parts, or been rung. Never under normal repair circumstances.

Q plates are issued also if a vehicle is deemed to be misrepresenting a private plate (e.g. fancy font, altered spacing) such that the private plate is withdrawn.

Mike

Does that mean the car can never have a normal or private plate again or can it be changed when it has a new owner?

I knew the dvla can withdraw a plate if misrepresented but putting on a q plate is harsh.

Spose its a cheap way for the chavs to get a private ageless plate :)

I thought cars had Q plates when the original parts of the car fell below a certain percentage of the complete car ie. Shell from one car, engine from another etc. Might be wrong though (usually am!)

Engine transplants don't active Q status, but they do have an impact on MOT requirements:d:innocent:

Q plates are issued also if a vehicle is deemed to be misrepresenting a private plate (e.g. fancy font, altered spacing) such that the private plate is withdrawn.

Mike

That shouldn't happen. If a plate is withdrawn, the vehicle would just go back to it's original age related plate. I can't think of any reason why it would then be placed on a Q. There's no doubt about the vehicles identity.