The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My geo set up experience

TTRickeh

Warning... bit of a read. I'm bored and feel like telling a story.

So yesterday I went for a suspension geo set up mainly because I replaced loads of suspension parts on the rear and knew they needed adjusting but also because I have never felt entirely happy with my Supra's handling. I never felt confident throwing it into corners and particularly recently I felt very apprehensive about booting it even in a straight line. Also, my steering wheel sat slightly to the right which is not a nice thing to see in your pride and joy.

Anyway, the car had been in recently to a local tyre place, whilst I was getting new tyres I thought I may as well get the alignment done too. It was just a basic alignment so only toe was adjusted as I was told they couldn't do camber or caster. The guy doing it made a mistake and started altering my camber, which I later found out he'd wound to one side and left it there after he realised it wasn't the toe adjustment arm, so I went back later to have someone at least put it at a vaguely nuetral setting for the time being. After this the car didn't feel any better, perhaps even a bit worse, and the steering wheel was still off to the right.

I asked around and got recommended a place called Clark Motorsport which is fairly nearby and decided to book myself in for a geo set up. On my way on the other side of the dual carriageway I saw a Renault Espace upside down in the middle of the road holding up traffic and a light covering of snow on the edge of the road so I decided to drive rather sedately the rest of the way :)

When I arrived all the guys there were nice and friendly and I was swiftly brought a cup of tea! After noseying around some of their nice machinery and a bit of a chat I retired outside for 15 minutes leaning against a post sunbathing, may as well catch the rare ocassion that it's clear and the sun's out. After that I went inside and they let me sit in their office and go on the net (Yes I came on mkivsupra.net, partly to see if anyone has posted up any more maths equations I could have a bash at :innocent:).

Once all the work was done it was revealed the front bolts required heating up to get them loose. If you recall, the car had been in recently for an alignment, so I find it hard to believe the bolts would seize since then. So how the tyre place claim to have adjusted those bolts I don’t know.

The settings that were applied were, as far as I know, based on the stock settings which is fine as i'm currently on stock wheels.

So up the car goes (I know it's long overdue a clean):

The settings before:

and the settings after:

My impressions are that the car felt immediately more precise even at low speeds. The weight transfer during braking/accelerating/gear changes feels much more controlled whereas before it just didn't feel quite right. Cornering is definitely improved and it doesn't feel like the car wants to constantly slip sideways. The car feels much more progressive as you approach the limit whereas before it felt like if you push too hard the car is already edging sideways and once traction is lost feels like it'd be damage limitation from then on. Makes sense now as my rear drivers side wheel may as well of been on sideways with that toe setting! Straight line traction is improved too, I can give it WOT in 2nd and not have any slip whereas before it would squirm about in 2nd and 3rd and even 4th if the roads were damp/wet. My steering wheel is now dead straight as well. It's not til the settings were fixed that I realised how bad it was before after well over a year of getting used to them.

I had been vaguely thinking about selling the car recently as I just didn't enjoy driving it anymore but as soon as I got in and went for a drive after the geo set up I knew it felt different, I feel much more confident in it and enjoy driving it, so I wont be selling for the forseeable future :)

Overall very impressed, thumbs up to Clark Motorsport, and a great price I think at under £150 too :thumbs:

Cheers

Good write up, I had exactly the same experience when buying my car & driving it for a few months. Had mine done in Elite Direct in Essex, looks like they used similar machinery as the equipment & print outs look very similar! Though have to say your setup was pretty much way off before!

These Geo setups are very important for cars like the Supra or any powerful car.

I might go back to the tyre place, give them a copy and tell them i'm not happy but I don't particularly expect a refund as it was 2 months ago now so not as recent as I thought. Got some snaking around in 3rd at 2nd turbo coming off a roundabout today but it was damp and I still think the roads are a bit greasy.

Good read :) I don't recall ever hearing a negative comment after getting a *proper* geo setup done, it's always a story of a remarkable improvement.

IMO, this is something that should be done after any wheel or suspension change, but is ignored or not bothered with by so many people.

Some of the Supra's I've driven in the last year have had massive wheel or suspension changes and the owners have not bothered getting any geometry work done. A few have been quite honestly the worse supra's I've ever driven. Absolutely horrible to drive and want to step out or throw the car off the road a slight camber change... I cannot understand how some people go about spending thousands on wheels/suspension but don't bother with a measily £120 or so to get their car setup for them. grr :D

Good read :) I don't recall ever hearing a negative comment after getting a *proper* geo setup done, it's always a story of a remarkable improvement.

IMO, this is something that should be done after any wheel or suspension change, but is ignored or not bothered with by so many people.

Some of the Supra's I've driven in the last year have had massive wheel or suspension changes and the owners have not bothered getting any geometry work done. A few have been quite honestly the worse supra's I've ever driven. Absolutely horrible to drive and want to step out or throw the car off the road a slight camber change... I cannot understand how some people go about spending thousands on wheels/suspension but don't bother with a measily £120 or so to get their car setup for them. grr :D

Yeah definitely, it's money I wish i'd spent earlier. I suppose some people might not know the difference between an alignment and a geo set up. I'm not sure how often before and after print outs are given with the previous, but as you can see with my settings you just really have to take their word that they've made any positive changes to your car if they don't give you any sort of proof of what they've done.