The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance of 1997 6 speed n/a

cobrastang

So where should I have put it lbm?Iwondered how long it would take you to come along.....

Put in in Supra Chat - like wot I did ;)

LBM isn't a real person, hes a forum management bot which is smartly coded into the website

it activates on keyword triggers such as 1v

I am a bot. I am a bot. I am a berk...malfunction.

Back on topic :): I would imagine there's hardly any difference in performance. The fifth gear on the W58 (5 speed) and V160/161 (6 speed) boxes aren't the same ratio IIRC, so the "extra" gear doesn't provide some kind of overdrive. I don't think there was a difference in the engine itself. On the day, it would depend on how good the driver is with keeping the revs within the sweet spot. An extra gear will help with that, but it takes time to change gear. You pays your money and takes your choice...:)

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know? If it's because you want the one with slightly better performance, then almost any other factor would play a bigger part (e.g. how big a breakfast you had that morning). If it's just interest, then fair play. :)

Cars with the 6 speed box cost more to buy than the 5 speed, mainly because of the extra power the 6 speed can handle.

1 THINK the w58 would sligly quicker on acceliration , i remeber a story of 2 na-tt cars one with the VI speed and one with the V speed and upto 100 the V speed car was faster.

but as with many of my memories i might have just been a dream or somthing i made up :)

I couldnt help jumping on the roman numbers bandwagon. apologies

W58 NA-TT will be arguably quicker than a V160 NA-TT IF you are using a totally TT originating V160/diff (6 gears geared for almost 200mph), if you were to convert a 6 speed NA, leaving the drivetrain alone (so geared to 160mph ish), to TT i'd imagine it would be even more peppy through the gears than the W58.....

Going back to the standard car the 6 speed NA IMO will be quicker in the mid range/everyday speeds, as it was geared (with the diff) to maximise the performance of an NA, you can pretty much max out the revs in 6th whereas (from memory) you just hit a wall a bit at 5xxx rpm with a 5 speed, so if you assume a 150mph top speed for both you can see how the extra gear and the fact 6th 'revs out' that there is far more scope for keeping a 6speed car right up the revs no matter what speed you are doing. The 6 speed was only put in later NA's and they had a few weight saving spec's most notably no electric drivers seat.

From looking on here there is bugger all in the 5 to 6 speed 1/4 mile drag times, but i'd say that on track with the 6 speed there will be less chance of having a corner or two where you have to rev the nuts off 2nd or be a little out of the power band in 3rd.

Overall very little in it unless trying to extract every last ounce of go, and the 6 speed can be a little 'rough' or clunky in operation compared to the 'just like anyother car' 5 speed feel.

You'd need 2 gear changes to get to 100kph with the 6spd, only one gear change with the 5spd.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9899/picture2vv.png

Thanks for that Nic,thats what I was lookin for,Im guessing it will also help economy a bit while cruising having another gear as Its gonna be a daily commuter on motorways for me.Far more helpful than lbms cheap sacarsm...:p