The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The TVR Cerbera

Project Blitz

Not a Versus thread or anything

But a mate of mine has one, the 4.2 model 97/98 year

Now I’ve been in it and it left my friend Scooby (360bhp) like it was going backwards!

I was just wondering what sort of power Supra would be matching it?

I know the BHP isn’t very high on them but because they weigh as little as an empty cigarette packet gives them the advantage.

I believe the 4.2 is around 360bhp?

Let me know your thoughts or if you have one your biased opinion ;)

I came onto a private test track at about 60, and a Cerb was in the outside lane, we both gunned it at the same time and were literally identical up to about 140 - there was a slower car in front of me (also racing around the private test track) so I had to slow.

Guy was nice as well, he slowed down and gave a wave.

That was when I had the Supe, TT6, BPU, 363 HP measured on a hub dyno and 360-something lbft.

The 4.5 are very fast my old man had one for 3 years , the ajp engines are not to bad but I think he went through about 5clutches in the end as the fingers used to snap off on the presure plate . Have to remember power to weight they only are 1,060 kg loved the v8 though due to the flat plane crank it sounded different to most other v8s also it used to rev to 8k.

Top gear drag race

Very responsive, but the car I followed at marham span off the track with half my speed - I was using slicks though!

4.5's are quick, and responsive too... I'd love one.. Michel would be a good judge, his brother or good friend had a V8 with the rose kit on I believe.

Have heard stories of daily drivers that have no issues, then there are bad cars that never get used and then occasionally frequently hammered. Not surprised they go bang.

1060kg + single 2jz , thats something to think about. there must be a fair few of these around with blown motors going cheap

You'd think so but they seem quite rare. I've seen a few Chimeras about with blown engines but not many Cerbs or Griffiths.

I would imagine a 2JZ would weigh a fair bit more than the APJ

its surprising how heavy the cerb body shell is i bought one from a breakers a fiew years ago and a complete chassis,it took 4 of us lift the shell.When i looked at it the lay up is quite thick.i had a 6ltr amc engine sat in it but never got round to finishing it off.i had to get different people to buy the car originaly as the scrap yard wasnt allowed to sell me it whole.I even had to get the chassis in 2 sections,but just welded it back together,trick was to get it cut in the right place so you can just replace the 2 tubes.

You'd think so but they seem quite rare. I've seen a few Chimeras about with blown engines but not many Cerbs or Griffiths.

I would imagine a 2JZ would weigh a fair bit more than the APJ

i dont know much of the apj. Dose it have a alluiminum block and heads?

123kg (including alternator)

Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melling_V8

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

I was just wondering what sort of power Supra would be matching it?

I know the BHP isn’t very high on them but because they weigh as little as an empty cigarette packet gives them the advantage.

I believe the 4.2 is around 360bhp?

Going on the figures mentioned in this thread:

TVR: 360/1.06 = 339bhp/tonne.

If a supra weighs around 1500kg, you would need:

1.5 X 339 = 509bhp to match it in terms of power to weight.

For the 4.5l, 420bhp model, assuming the same weight, you would need 594 bhp.

I know it's more complex than that, but as a rough guide, Mr. Blitz's estimate of 500bhp a few posts back sounds right to me.