The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Taking the plunge into valve stem surgery

Carl

After reading a few threads on replacing the valve stem seals I have decided to embarke from next weekend on removing the head.

Im a little nervous as it looks like a million pipes and wires compared to my previous Rover turbo which was simple by comparison.

Hopefully, a smoke free startup once im finished.

Carl

After reading a few threads on replacing the valve stem seals I have decided to embarke from next weekend on removing the head.

Im a little nervous as it looks like a million pipes and wires compared to my previous Rover turbo which was simple by comparison.

Hopefully, a smoke free startup once im finished.

Carl

if you have done one on a previous car there is nothing to worry about, i found the workshop manual invaluable and the other thing i would advise is to take the main engine radiator out (give it a good flush while your at it), you can then climb in the gap and it makes for a far more relaxed working position, take te bonnet off as well if you have room to store it. I deliberated for quite a while as to whether to use the old rope gag but ultimately decided to do a proper job and i'm glad i did as the valve seats were really overdue a re-grind, buy all the top cam hoses new as well as these will be rock hard

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot seem to find any threads on actually removing the head, eg nice pictures etc.

Does anyone know of such a thread and also do i need to go to toyota to get the workshop manual or is there a pdf one available somewhere?

Carl

Take the engine out it'll be quicker and you can inspect the turbo side and stuff properly. Stick a new oil and water pump on it at the same time.

Out of interest Chris how much would you charge (ballpark parts and labour) for changing the valve stem seals, As you've had my car a couple of times now, and it's something I'll be looking at having done, either tail end of this year or next year sometime. Could you pm or email if you don't want to post up.

Thanks

Mike

I cannot seem to find any threads on actually removing the head, eg nice pictures etc.

Does anyone know of such a thread and also do i need to go to toyota to get the workshop manual or is there a pdf one available somewhere?

Carl

i used to use an old UK supra site http://www.supras.co.uk/ that had the manuals scanned in but sadly this has passed into history and no longer available, i bought the manuals from a guy in the states but they cost about £50 back when the exchange rate was good :(, a quick google found this http://www.funky-fto.co.uk/workshop/ and at a 5 spot looks worth a punt, i would ask the question whether it will run on modern XP, Vista etc as i once bought a spares manual that would only run on Windows 98 :blink:

I have a couple of questions.

What is the easiest way to remove the exhaust manifold with turbos. It looks difficult to get at the bolts below the turbos that hold the whole thing to the head.

Is it easier to remove the 6 bolts holding the turbos or do I need to remove the 12 bolts holding the manifold to the head.

I have looked at the workshop manuals but they attend to show you how to undo every single bolt which you dont necesarily want to do if you can help it.

Can someone give me a few pointers to the quickest removal method plus what's the best place to start on the inlet side to.

So far I am absolutely shocked at how many pipes and wires the Supra has. I,m sure the space shuttle would have less....:blink:

Take the engine out, Sounds radical, but it's really the best way unless you have access to a ramp. Doing turbo changes on your back is a sure way to cut corners and cock the job up. With the donkey out you can do all those other little jobs whilst you are at it, like properly checking hoses, rear main seal, gearbox front seal, maybe a new oil pump?

Take the engine out, Sounds radical, but it's really the best way unless you have access to a ramp. Doing turbo changes on your back is a sure way to cut corners and cock the job up. With the donkey out you can do all those other little jobs whilst you are at it, like properly checking hoses, rear main seal, gearbox front seal, maybe a new oil pump?

I can see how removing the engine would make life a whole lot easier.

Trouble is I dont have a winch to lift the engine nor the space to store an engine, hence why Im have to remove head with engine in place.

I appreciate that this is most likely going to be a real nightmare but I dont have any other choice.

Given that this is the only way I can do it, Im just after the easiest removal method doing it this way.

One thing I can asure you though, it may take me a very long time to do but I will never bodge anything, I'd be too scared of having to do all this again..

Carl

After removing the imlet manifolding and the turbo stuff gained access from above get it up on 4 proper and stable axle stands, remove the turbo stuff underneath, and the brackets, remove the turbos off the exhaust manifold. Then pull the head off. Fit new gaskets, you'll be howling like a baby if you refit the whole mess and it's blowing somewhere. The secret to a successful job like this is NOT CUTTING CORNERS and CLEANLINESS.

After removing the imlet manifolding and the turbo stuff gained access from above get it up on 4 proper and stable axle stands, remove the turbo stuff underneath, and the brackets, remove the turbos off the exhaust manifold. Then pull the head off. Fit new gaskets, you'll be howling like a baby if you refit the whole mess and it's blowing somewhere. The secret to a successful job like this is NOT CUTTING CORNERS and CLEANLINESS.

Thanks Chris,

i certainly agree with replacing all gaskets. I will be ordering the full engine kit from toyota which is around £240 and should come with pretty much all of them.

Im finding a few of the rubber pipes are hard and have split as I remove them so will aslo need replacing with new.

If I find anything suspect then it will be replaced.

Looks like my next job is to get the car up on axle stands.

Is there a good place to place the axle stands under the supra as I have only ever used the jack point up to now?

Carl