The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running no idle control valve

jevansio

Anyone run without an ICV? I realise it could be a bit of a pain on an daily driver, but for a dedicated weekend car are there any disadvantages?

I dont run one on mine and Matt normally gets them set up and mapped so we don't even notice they are not there, mind you the state of most of the cold start on some cars I wonder how people put up with them.

I dont run one on mine and Matt normally gets them set up and mapped so we don't even notice they are not there, mind you the state of most of the cold start on some cars I wonder how people put up with them.

Before mine went poop I set my idle up off the throttle stop then pulled the IVC tables back in the AEM so it was hardly being used, it idled solid at 1k no matter what, I realise that with the ICV I couldn't have the AEM idle at 1600rpm when cold until it warms, but TBH that doesn't bother me, if mine idles at 1k no matter what I could live with that.

Would these have any effect on an AEM cold start?? As i know AEM's are prone to a couple of cranks before ignition happens.

With an ICV the AEM wouldn't be able to have the idle drop from say 1500 to 1000 as the engine warmed, the ICV plays no part during the cranking phase of startup

With an ICV the AEM wouldn't be able to have the idle drop from say 1500 to 1000 as the engine warmed, the ICV plays no part during the cranking phase of startup

Ah right, just mine takes a good few times to crank over, sometimes i need to add a little throttle to help it catch

Depends who sets up the cold start;)

Mr RyanG, although he's away in Sweden just now. Just needs a few tweaks. :D

My red car never had one, cold start on it was better than my black car if im honest.

mind you, cold start was horrible when I first got it ;) fiddling with throttle helped a bit, but it only took Ryan 10mins´to make it perfect af 1k rpm.

I'm also in greddy plenum and Q45 TB

Would these have any effect on an AEM cold start?? As i know AEM's are prone to a couple of cranks before ignition happens.

Aem's are not prone to this chap i just prefer it if the engine has oil pressure before it fires hence why i make them fire after 2-3 engine revolutions the same as the Solaris/Syvecs now.

My red car never had one, cold start on it was better than my black car if im honest.

It may have fired up quicker but there are reasons why the solaris/syvecs wait for 2 engine revolutions and why it wont let you boost till the oil temp is warm also. All these little motorsport strategies are the reason your engine is still in one piece ;)

Ryan

My (as yet unfitted) Greddy manifold is modified so the idle valve is not seen. I'll find a pic....

That would be great Dan, I've ran mine to the inner wing but there's a big hose which I want rid of

It may have fired up quicker but there are reasons why the solaris/syvecs wait for 2 engine revolutions and why it wont let you boost till the oil temp is warm also. All these little motorsport strategies are the reason your engine is still in one piece ;)

Ryan

You don't see any issues disbaling the ICV then Ryan?

You don't see any issues disbaling the ICV then Ryan?

I would leave it on mate.... As to get round it you need to add alot of ignition timing when cold and then pull loads out when the idle strategy kicks in which sometimes you might hit in very slow moving traffic and it will not feel nice! You can add a small vsv to allow more air in when cold but if doing that you might as well run a ICV.

On a cold start you want the car idling fairly high for a reason chap.

I would leave it on mate.... As to get round it you need to add alot of ignition timing when cold and then pull loads out when the idle strategy kicks in which sometimes you might hit in very slow moving traffic and it will not feel nice! You can add a small vsv to allow more air in when cold but if doing that you might as well run a ICV.

On a cold start you want the car idling fairly high for a reason chap.

:( but it's sooooo ugly :D

I dont run one on mine and too be honest Ryan did a awesome job on the map you would never know

Come on Ryan :D, I wanna remove mine, I know you don't advise it but you happy altering the map accordingly so I can? :D The car is a weekend toy, it don't get used like a daily drive, it's cold for a couple of mins on each outing at most, hell it's in the garage most of the time anyway :D