• HKS Pod Filter
    • GReddy Foam Pod Filter
    • Apex'i Pod Filter
    • K&N Pod Filter
    • STOCK AIR BOX
    • STOCK with foam panel filter
    • STOCK with cotton panel filter
    • Blitz SUS Filter

Alex, when my turbos went it was more the main cause was probably all the other crap being blown out when then engine died.

From a statistical perspective just because there is a relationship does not prove a cause and effect. People with filter X perhaps also run a more stressed engine for example.

I agree with Steve, although this may be interesting; to attribute blown turbos to one factor is not reasonable. Very few of us know what treatment the turbos got before the car came from Japan.

Poor filtration may just be the final nail in the coffin. I just hope the 3000 miles I did with that big useless lump of green foam stuck on my engine was not too long.

Alex, the poll is an interesting idea and I'm all for pooling information like this. However, in this particular instance, I agree with Steve and Phil- I don't think it's going to tell you much.

For example, let's say more turbos went with HKS filters than Blitz. Is this because:

a) HKS filtration is worse?

b) more HKS filters are fitted than Blitz ones?

c) Blitz parts in general are favoured by more knowledgeable owners, who therefore look after their engines?

OK, I know © isn't very plausible, but point is that, as Steve says, there could be many different reasons behind any association you uncover.

You could always ask people to describe the mods/circumstances when their turbos went and see if any common factors seem to emerge.

Regards,

Cliff

Whilst not being a fan of HKS filters I have to say poor filtration is very unlikely to cause turbo *failure* as such, more an eroding of the compressor blades, and a marked increase in internal engine wear rates. Unless a foam filter breaks up and is "eaten" by the turbo dirt particulates passing through an undamged foam filter are not going to be large enough to actaully cause such impacts as to actually break the blades.

Most turbo failures I see are either due to overspeeding (making a given turbo(s) produce a lot more boost than they were designed to do), or due to poor quality oil and user abuse causing coking of the bearing feed or drain and causing lubrication starvation, leading to failure.

As an aside i see far more smokey UK turbos than J-Spec ones, although when a J-Spec ceramic lets go the whole exhaust wheel disappers.

Luckily, for some reason, the MKIV TT seems far less likely to injest a broken turbine wheel back through the exhaust valves than the Skyline GTR does. On the Nissan this is a common occurence with diastrous results for pistons and bores.

Guest Terry S

Didn't know that Chris, another great reason not to buy a taxi then.

What about turbo oil feed. The pipework seems to have a habit of getting gunged up if the car is not regularly serviced with decent oil.

Originally posted by Terry S

Didn't know that Chris, another great reason not to buy a taxi then.

What about turbo oil feed. The pipework seems to have a habit of getting gunged up if the car is not regularly serviced with decent oil.

Same for all and any turbo on a petrol engine, IMO. Main reason synthetic oils were developed. Closed circuit crankcase breathing doesn't help, I mod any decent engine I plan on running hard for long to external breathing, it helps a lot with reducing oil contamination. I am not Green... :)